CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (
-   -   [ANSYS Meshing] helical meshing problems (

djelgan April 30, 2012 12:39

helical meshing problems
2 Attachment(s)
I am trying to model heat transfer from a coil to surrounding air using Ansys Fluent v14. The coil body meshes fine with a hex sweep and the surrounding fluid body seems to mesh best with a tetrahedron patch conforming method.

The problem is the boundary between the hex coil mesh and the tet fluid mesh gives poor results. When I look at the results of a tetrahedrons mesh connecting face on the coil, I find that it is very poor and I have tried many different methods and adjustments with no luck on fishing the problem.

To see what I mean, look at the following screen shot of the face of the helical coil meshed with tetrahedrons, Initially there is a fine tet mesh, then it becomes course and I can't figure out why. Any help to improve this mesh would be appreciated.

Attached is the geometry file for anybody who wants to look at it.

diamondx April 30, 2012 16:38

you attached coil-and-tupe.agdb alone. there is a file that comes with it and it has the same name. otherwise i can't open your geometry

djelgan April 30, 2012 16:51

1 Attachment(s)
When I export a geometry from Ansys Design Modeler (or just save it) it creates a single .agdb file which I have had no problem opening on different computers. Are you opening it using a version other than v14? I have realized that once saved using a newer version, the older version will no longer open it.

I have attached it again as an .igs file which should have no problems being opened.

djelgan May 16, 2012 19:11

anybody else have an idea why this is meshing weird?