CFD Online URL
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > ANSYS Meshing & Geometry

[ANSYS Meshing] Can I use ANSYS Meshing for manual meshing?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By everdimension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   June 8, 2012, 09:52
Default Can I use ANSYS Meshing for manual meshing?

Anna
Kirjain is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone and sorry to bother you with a stupid question but I am a complete beginner with ANSYS and would need a bit of help to get started. I've noticed that most of you here use external meshing software like Gambit and what-have-you but I was wondering whether one could use the ANSYS Meshing tool for detailed manual meshing as well (defining nodes and building the mesh block by block etc.). I've had a quick look at the software but it only seems to let me select a method and vary a few things but after that everything is automatic. Is there a way around that or should I just use another programme for meshing? I am using ANSYS Workbench (with DM, Meshing and Fluent) as they should work together seamlessly so of course it would be best to find a way to get round all automatic meshing tools in ANSYS Meshing and not just find a new programme to do the trick.

Cheers.
Kirjain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 8, 2012, 10:16

everdimension is on a distinguished road
Well, the choice depends on what kind of geometry you have and if you really need to be able to control every step of the mesh creation. If so, ICEM is your choice.

But Ansys Meshing is really powerful software and allows you mesh some very complex geometry. Look here, for example http://tinyurl.com/7q3lrm4
And if ansys meshing is not as flexible as icem it still allows you create a pretty good mesh pretty fast. And it does allow you to apply local inflation, local edge/face/body sizing and much more. This might be enough.

And speaking of user-friendly, all of these programs are racing for the title of having the worst interface ; )
bhrz likes this.
everdimension is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 12, 2012, 06:06

Anna
Kirjain is on a distinguished road
Thank-you for your help! I have been trying out all the different methods available in ANSYS Meshing but as a beginner I've had a fair bit of trouble with some of the features. For instance when I modify the mesh sizing details (min size, max size etc.) I receive a warning with the following message:

"The global max size has been replaced by the mesh size of a premeshed edge or face which is larger. Please check the premeshed edge or face."

Furthermore I would like to ask whether there is any chance of contolling the finite volume sizing separately for different bodies. Might this be possible via assembly meshing?
Kirjain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 12, 2012, 09:35

everdimension is on a distinguished road
Well, sure, you just select any body, click right mouse button and choose "sizing". The "body sizing" options appear on the left.
You can also choose only a plane or only an edge and apply "sizing" the same way.

When you select "Mesh" in the outline you can specify global properties in the "Details"

When you select any of the options under the "Mesh" in the outline, like "Sizing" or "Inflation", you can then specify local properties of the chosen option.

So if, for example, the size of the first layer in the "Inflation" is less than "min size" in the global settings of the "Mesh", then you will get the message like that. You can either ignore it or change the global "min size" to be smaller than that of the inflation or you can change the inflation )
everdimension is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ansys meshing, meshing