CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > ANSYS Meshing & Geometry

[ICEM] hexa-mesh

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 31, 2012, 04:07
Default hexa-mesh
  #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 6
Lilly is on a distinguished road
Dear all,

I got some general questions concerning ICEM CFD:
  • I am using an Ogrid, but I never had to fix whether I want to create a hexa or tetra-mesh. Does ICEM automatically use a hexa-mesh, if I use an Ogrid or might it be that it is a mixed kind of mesh then?
  • If I want to export my hexa-mesh as *.msh to Fluent, do I have to convert it to an unstructured mesh (as I have seen it in a video) or can I also covert it to MultiBlock? Does it make any difference for the mesh which conversion I use?
  • At the moment I am meshing an asymmetric geometry using blocks and I arrange the blocks manually (see pic). Is there a more professional (more automatic) way to arrange the blocks ( I am afraid the mesh won’t be really good if I arrange the blocks according to visual judgement)?
Thanks a million for any idea and help!
Lilly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blocks.jpg (33.1 KB, 24 views)
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 1, 2012, 05:15
Default
  #2
Far
Super Moderator
 
Far's Avatar
 
Sijal Ahmed Memon (turboenginner@gmail.com)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 3,906
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 38
Far will become famous soon enoughFar will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
I am using an Ogrid, but I never had to fix whether I want to create a hexa or tetra-mesh. Does ICEM automatically use a hexa-mesh, if I use an Ogrid or might it be that it is a mixed kind of mesh then?
It is hexa mesh

Quote:
If I want to export my hexa-mesh as *.msh to Fluent, do I have to convert it to an unstructured mesh (as I have seen it in a video) or can I also covert it to MultiBlock? Does it make any difference for the mesh which conversion I use?
As unstructured mesh, as Fluent is unstructured solver. May be your mesh looks like a structured mesh (pure hexa mesh with one-one connectivity), but internally it is dealt like a unstructured mesh. Multi-block mesh is needed for some specialized in-house codes which uses the structured mesh.
So in your case for Fluent, you must convert it to unstructured mesh.


Quote:
At the moment I am meshing an asymmetric geometry using blocks and I arrange the blocks manually (see pic). Is there a more professional (more automatic) way to arrange the blocks ( I am afraid the mesh won’t be really good if I arrange the blocks according to visual judgement)?
You can use snap vertices to get a professional look. Also you can use r edge and vertices commands to get it done nicely.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 7, 2012, 05:27
Default
  #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 6
Lilly is on a distinguished road
Hi Far,

thanks a million for your help!
It's a lot clearer to me now.
Best regards,
Lilly
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving mesh Niklas Wikstrom (Wikstrom) OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 122 June 15, 2014 06:20
3D Hybrid Mesh Errors DarrenC ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 11 August 5, 2013 06:42
[ICEM] Generating Mesh for STL Car in Windtunnel Simulation tommymoose ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 48 April 15, 2013 04:24
[ICEM] export hexa mesh to fluent Wieland ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 37 January 23, 2013 04:27
[ICEM] Hexa Mesh Smoothing Jules ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 6 December 4, 2010 19:00


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:01.