CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (
-   -   [ANSYS Meshing] Hard edge sizing vs Match Control (

woo September 17, 2012 14:14

Hard edge sizing vs Match Control
Good morning!

I'm attempting to mesh a cube with all vertical sides with "Match Control" or using hard edge sizing for the creation of periodic boundary conditions in Fluent. The goal is to use a pressure gradient to drive flow through the cube in a direction specified by a vector.

Is this possible? When using "Match Control" one set of faces is easy, attempting to use "Match Control" on the orthogonal set of faces generates the error that the mesh is over constrained.

Attempts to manually set all edge meshes and enforce the rule using "hard" behavior have been moderately successful at best: Sometimes fluent will allow the zones to be modified, sometimes it will not.

Any suggestions for best practices when attempting to enforce such a set of boundary conditions on vertical faces of a cube?

Thanks for your time and, if solved, this post might help a lot of people. I found numerous posts of similar problems, but no solutions.

Thanks again!

Trues September 17, 2012 18:05

Is it really just a cube, or is it more complex than that?

That should be a sweepable surface. I would mesh one surface using edge controls (# divisions, not element size) and face sizing, then sweep it through the body.