CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/)
-   -   [ICEM] geometry repair (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/108031-geometry-repair.html)

yuhehuan October 12, 2012 13:04

geometry repair

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! I have a problem of my geometry. I attached a picture. Have you found some holes of in this surface? Does it affect the mesh quality? How could i deal with it? Thanks!

Far October 12, 2012 14:16

ICEM is very much tolerant of small problems in the geometry. Give it a try and come here back.

yuhehuan October 12, 2012 14:26

But I can't generate prim mesh. And the mesh quality is only 0.4.

diamondx October 12, 2012 15:12

0.4 is ok for fluent !! give it a try...

yuhehuan October 12, 2012 15:24

1 Attachment(s)
But when i import the mesh into fluent, the convergence curve is bad, like this picture.So I think it's the problem of the mesh. I am not sure where the problem it is.

diamondx October 12, 2012 18:47

i think it's more because of your geometry than your mesh.
You outlet is way too close to your inlet... what are you trying to model ??

yuhehuan October 12, 2012 23:48

Oh, maybe. I want to analyse the pressure drop of air flow through the widest path unit (it's made of four grain kernels). So I can't change the model. I am not sure if i use the structed mesh the mesh quality will change. Because I guess the Y-GRID may be better. So do you have some idea how to use structed mesh on my model? Thank you so much!

Far October 13, 2012 03:25

Blocking can be done. You can refer to this thread, where discussion on blocking is under way.

yuhehuan October 13, 2012 17:30

Thank you so much for your help! I will read it then think about how i can do.

yuhehuan October 14, 2012 01:52

1 Attachment(s)
:)Hi, I used Y-grid to my geometry. But there is a problem of my mesh. I am not sure if it is the problem of block or the surface of the geometry. I think there is no problem of my block. Could you check it for me? Many thanks!

Far October 14, 2012 01:53

The only way to learn ICEM is to share the .tin file ;)

yuhehuan October 14, 2012 02:00

1 Attachment(s)
thanks a lot!

Far October 14, 2012 02:11

oh, complex model. Trying my best and will comeup with solution very soon.

yuhehuan October 14, 2012 02:20

:pit is really complex. I have been confused with it for a month. I tried unstructed mesh but the the convergence is not good in fluent. So I am trying to use structed mesh now. Hope you can sovle it. And I will keep trying. Thank you so much for your help!

Far October 14, 2012 02:23

The prisms in boundary layer and tetra in the rest of the domain is good choice for this model. And convergence should be good with refined boundary layer. It is some sort of intake?

yuhehuan October 14, 2012 02:32

Sorry, I just started learning ICEM and don't know how to use different meshes for different areas. This is a model for airflow. The inlet is at the bottom surface. And the outlet is one of the side surfaces of this model. Somebody said that the convergence is bad becuase the inlet is too close with the outlet. I am not sure. I think i can't change the model. So, just improve the mesh quality.

Far October 14, 2012 02:35

You can extend the inlet and outlet domain and apply slip BOCO on them and record the data at the original inlet and outlet planes.

yuhehuan October 14, 2012 02:42

Sorry, i really don't have an idea about your advice. I am a newcomer. I think if the structed mesh can't change the convergence, then I will try another method. So, firsly, try the structed mesh,maybe it will work.:p

Far October 14, 2012 02:44

I am also sending you the link of training material through pm

yuhehuan October 14, 2012 02:49

Thank you so much for your tutorial! You are really so nice!