CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (
-   -   [ANSYS Meshing] Half cylindrical t-junction (

bf3g10 January 28, 2013 10:46

Half cylindrical t-junction
1 Attachment(s)
I'm simulating a microfluidic T-junction as per the picture.
My problem is applying varying mesh densities throughout the geometry. Is there a way to increase the meshing elements situated at the vertices indicated and have the rest of the model uniformly meshed just as in the screenshot?
I'm asking since I'm interested to evaluate the effects of flows at and around the corners.

Far January 28, 2013 11:04

In Ansys meshing you have many options like putting size function and inflation. In ICEM things are really much handy.

bf3g10 January 29, 2013 10:37

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your reply, Far.
I have mucked about with some settings and have managed to refine those vertices although do you know a way to expand the region of this refinement? I've tried and altered some settings to no avail.

bf3g10 February 4, 2013 09:08

Okay, changing tactics a bit. Is there a way to pack more elements into the vertices where it has already been refined. From what I gather there are refinement settings between 1 and 3 with 3 being the most refined option which I have already chosen. Is there a way to refine it further?

jrunsten February 4, 2013 10:57

If you just want to increase the density in these areas you could insert a sizing on your mesh and use "sphere of influence"

bf3g10 February 5, 2013 09:48

Ah thank you very much, Josef.

A very handy feature indeed. This gives me total control of the element density in the corners. Thank you also, Far.