CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > ANSYS Meshing & Geometry

[GAMBIT] Problem in meshing a pipe within a cylinder

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   May 14, 2013, 05:13
Default Problem in meshing a pipe within a cylinder
  #1
New Member
 
Tony
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
l14766 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I am new in Gambit and I did the model of my reactor (UASB),

.

There is a cylinder with an influent pipe on the bottom and an effluent pipe on the up side, the funnel is used to collect gas produced in the reactor (little gas was produced so it is neglected).

I create a 2-D model in Gambit with two separated faces, while seems that the funnel has little influence on the fluid, should any opration be done to connect the two separated faces? What should be the suitable boundary conditions for the pipes?

Thanks,

Tony
l14766 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2013, 07:52
Default
  #2
Super Moderator
 
-mAx-'s Avatar
 
Maxime Perelli
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,992
Rep Power: 30
-mAx- will become famous soon enough
what is this body with trianle basis?
Looks like a spool entering in your cylinder.
If it is a solid body (no flowfield inside the spool), then you have to go back in Gambit and you need to split your cylinder with the spool. Finally the spool should appear as an hollow, which means no flowfield expected in this area.
__________________
In memory of my friend Hervé: CFD engineer & freerider
-mAx- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2013, 08:26
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Tony
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
l14766 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mAx- View Post
what is this body with trianle basis?
Looks like a spool entering in your cylinder.
If it is a solid body (no flowfield inside the spool), then you have to go back in Gambit and you need to split your cylinder with the spool. Finally the spool should appear as an hollow, which means no flowfield expected in this area.
Thanks for your reply.

It is an inverted funnel (just like a pipe) and the fluid can flow into it. Should I split the cylinder with the funnel and then connect them?
l14766 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2013, 08:28
Default
  #4
Super Moderator
 
-mAx-'s Avatar
 
Maxime Perelli
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,992
Rep Power: 30
-mAx- will become famous soon enough
where can the flow enter in this funnel? Are there openings?
Do you have a cross scetion from cad or anything for better understanding?
__________________
In memory of my friend Hervé: CFD engineer & freerider
-mAx- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2013, 08:57
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Tony
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
l14766 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mAx- View Post
where can the flow enter in this funnel? Are there openings?
Do you have a cross scetion from cad or anything for better understanding?

The funnel is a hollow cone with large opening on the bottom and a narrow tube at the apex, which is used to collect the gas produced, as the opening is lower than the effluent pipe (water level), so the flow can also enter, but probably it will not outflow through the narrow tube at the apex

http://132.68.226.240/english/pdf/Pr...al_Green/2.pdf picture 1 (a) is a sample UASB reactor
l14766 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2013, 09:06
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Tony
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
l14766 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mAx- View Post
where can the flow enter in this funnel? Are there openings?
Do you have a cross scetion from cad or anything for better understanding?





These are more visualized exsamples of UASB reactor
l14766 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2013, 09:43
Default
  #7
Super Moderator
 
-mAx-'s Avatar
 
Maxime Perelli
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,992
Rep Power: 30
-mAx- will become famous soon enough
ok
post a picture of your gambit geometry (without mesh) and locate your BC, especially on your cone.
The question is: is your cone splitted from the cylinder or is it totally free (not connected).
The cone should split the cylinder, BUT, you need to redefine all the cone edges as wall (except the bottom one). Thus split operation generates internal (or interior) entities for giving the possibility to the fluid for flowing through.
__________________
In memory of my friend Hervé: CFD engineer & freerider
-mAx- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 14, 2013, 17:24
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Tony
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
l14766 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mAx- View Post
ok
post a picture of your gambit geometry (without mesh) and locate your BC, especially on your cone.
The question is: is your cone splitted from the cylinder or is it totally free (not connected).
The cone should split the cylinder, BUT, you need to redefine all the cone edges as wall (except the bottom one). Thus split operation generates internal (or interior) entities for giving the possibility to the fluid for flowing through.


Thanks, seems that it works
l14766 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[GAMBIT] Meshing a pipe vedravi ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 1 March 25, 2010 14:19
problem meshing two interacting volumes banerji OpenFOAM Other Meshers: ICEM, Star, Ansys, Pointwise, GridPro, Ansa, ... 0 December 14, 2009 16:59
[ICEM] Problem with boundary layers for cylinder in channel nik ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 0 October 27, 2009 07:01
Meshing problem akr FLUENT 2 February 3, 2008 21:22
Problem meshing very thin pipe B. Hemmen FLUENT 2 May 16, 2006 08:29


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:27.