CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (
-   -   [ICEM] Can't define domain when importing in CFX (

marcoymarc June 5, 2013 06:00

Can't define domain when importing in CFX
Hi guys.
Probably it's a dumb question, but please forgive me i have no experience in ICEM.

When i use the delaunay quick method to compute mesh, which is the one helps me to get to 0.3 quality in the easiest way, and i export my mesh to CFX, i can't define more than one domain; it's like cfx sees everything like a single body. The mesh is right there , i saw it cutting a plane.
This doesn't happen when using the octree method; but with this i can't achieve the 0.3.
Thanks for your answers.

I noticed when i use the octree method under "parts" menu 5 new names appear "CREATED_MATERIAL1 ETC"; while using the delauny only 1...

diamondx June 5, 2013 07:51

try this: use octree to generate your mesh, then generate a delaunay on top of it...

marcoymarc June 5, 2013 08:04

Tried to; sadly it's useless. As i try to remesh with dela (existing mesh option on) from the octree mesh i had previously created, the number of "created_materials" under parts decreases from 5 to 1.

marcoymarc June 5, 2013 09:16

Sorry to bother, but i am in a critical situation for my thesis. I had everything done, but my tutor asked me to change the geometry and i can't achieve the right quality. Since my work shouldn't imply i get deep knowledge in icem meshing, and i have not much time, If someone could help me i am disposed to pay a fee , too. No matter.

diamondx June 5, 2013 09:24

did you create the multiple bodies you need for that ?? would you mind zipping and sharing your project via dropbox ? i can take a look at it at work...

diamondx June 5, 2013 09:24

how about smoothing the mesh to improve the quality... did you try that ?

marcoymarc June 5, 2013 09:48

Yes i tried the smoothing but i get stuck not far from 0.3 but still below this value. Diamond thank a lot for your help, please pm your mail since i don't use dropbox.
Thank you very much...