CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/)
-   -   ICEM hexa meshing - need help!! (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/62912-icem-hexa-meshing-need-help.html)

cpd29 March 23, 2009 18:27

ICEM hexa meshing - need help!!

2 Attachment(s)
I am relatively new to ICEM tool and using it for my masters thesis. I am currently in the blocking step and have a difficult geometry feature that I don't know the best way to mesh. I want to use hexa-mesh but the mesh comes out poor quality. Any tips on how to mesh the indicated area (see attachment Attachment 78) would be greatly appreciated. I haven't used o-grids and not sure what those are...would it help? I have spent way too much time on this and desperately need some pointers and i havent seen many useful training tools out there.

Thanks!
Colleen

Attachment 78

Attachment 79

rikio March 24, 2009 01:57

Colleen,

It is a simple geometry to mesh in hex. O-grid should be used to improve quality, and high quality mesh is very easy to be obtained.
Regarding what are O-grid, please take a look at the documentation and tutorials. They will tell you what they are.

cpd29 March 24, 2009 10:08

If I show you what I have so far for meshing, would you be willing to give me pointers? I can send you a picture or the actual file.

Thanks
Colleen

rikio March 24, 2009 10:21

OK, I think it won't take much time to show you a solution. Just send me the .tin file.

pratikmehta March 24, 2009 10:24

Hi,
It seems not so difficiult to mesh this by blocking strategy, O grid surely help but before you need to try some blocking tutorial otherwise you willl spend too much time in just Hex blocking this one. I suggest you can also go for tet mesh with prism layers and see how are the results ,in the mean time you can try hex blocking this geometry .

Best of luck

cpd29 March 24, 2009 11:33

1 Attachment(s)
See attached file for the .tin file. As you can see, I started the blocking around the curved geometry. I've tried several methods that didn't give a good mesh so this is basically where I started from. The problem is at the corners...not sure what to do about the blocking and mesh there. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Colleen

Attachment 84

pratikmehta March 25, 2009 03:58

Hi,

I had a quick look, n i could spot many duplicate curves , first thing you should do is to put all curves in a same family , Unfortunately at work i cannot do things not concerning to work , also we dont have blocking licence anymore , may be in my free time I can suggest you a strategy for blocking.

best of luck

fauka March 25, 2009 05:58

hi!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Since the model is symmetric, I used half symmetry. Check out the blocking.

rikio March 25, 2009 09:35

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I post a solution, just meshed section you concern.

cpd29 March 27, 2009 13:44

Thank you all sooo much for your help! Your solutions really helped me and i can make progress on my thesis again. Again thanks! :-)

amitdesh1 March 31, 2009 04:50

ICEM Hexa blocking

Hi Colleen,

For the model you are working on, ICEM hexa can work very well. Give 2 transverse splits where you are having this step. Generate a through and through O-grid. Only in the region of this step, put the outer 4 blocks in the family "VORFN". Now the projection of edges would automatically change from "Edge-> none" to "Edge-> Surface". Map the related vertices accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Amit