CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/)
-   -   GAMBIT Error Msg database file not properly closed (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/68969-gambit-error-msg-database-file-not-properly-closed.html)

Janomano October 7, 2009 13:55

GAMBIT Error Msg database file not properly closed

Hello,

everytime I try to open files with Gambit I created and saved before, the following error msg appears: "ERROR: This Database file was not properly closed".
I couldn't find anything on the internet about that error, which leads me to the assumption that I did something really stupid so that I am the only person in the world who has to deal with this problem.
I use Gambit 2.4.6 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 5.3.

Thank you for your help!

Jan

hashem_1064 October 7, 2009 15:02

Hey Janomano
Somtimes when Gambit suddenly is been closed, a file with the same name as your project but with the suffix ".lok" is created. I think your problem might be caused so. try to find such a file and delete it.

Hashem

Janomano October 7, 2009 16:32

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately it must be something else. The .lok file disappears when I exit Gambit. Everything seems to be normal, three files are created, filename.jou, filename.trn and filename.dbs, I just can't open them anymore...
Does anybody have another idea?

-mAx- October 8, 2009 02:33

I had the same problem under XP, if I tried to open a .dbs file from scratch folder (for instance: GAMBIT.3544)
Now I am not sure Gambit creates such folder under linux (I never paid attention) and if you are trying to open dbs file from this folder

Janomano October 8, 2009 10:35

Yes, Gambit creates these folders under linux, too. But the problem seems to be independent from the saving directory. I just sent a saved file to a friend's computer and he cannot open it either, so I guess the issue is really with the saving part, not the opening part.
But again, thank you for your tips so far!

-mAx- October 8, 2009 11:55

Copy and paste the journal file (*.jou) especially the 5-first and the 5-last lines

Janomano October 9, 2009 10:48

This is an example .jou file I saved today.

/ Journal File for GAMBIT 2.4.6, Database 2.4.4, lnamd64 SP2007051420
/ Identifier "default_id"
/ File opened for write Fri Oct 9 10:07:28 2009.
volume create width 2 depth 2 height 2 brick
save name "/afs/umich.edu/user/j/a/janland/Desktop/test.dbs"

Another interesting thing: If I save a file, exit Gambit, reopen Gambit and load the file, it works. But once I try to open the file on a different computer or try to open other files I saved before or log off and then log in again and try to open the file --> error.
So I guess the problem might not be with Gambit itself but with some crazy linux stuff I don't know anything about... Do you have any ideas?

Janomano October 9, 2009 10:59

Here is another .jou file where I tried to open an old dbs-file.
After the error occured (line 4 + 5) I created some random stuff again and saved it.

/ Journal File for GAMBIT 2.4.6, Database 2.4.4, lnamd64 SP2007051420
/ Identifier "default_id"
/ File opened for write Fri Oct 9 10:51:12 2009.
/ERROR occurred in the next command!
identifier name "/afs/umich.edu/user/j/a/janland/save.dbs" old nosaveprevious
volume create width 2 depth 2 height 2 brick
volume mesh "volume.1" map size 1
save name "/afs/umich.edu/user/j/a/janland/Desktop/again.dbs"
/ File closed at Fri Oct 9 10:52:20 2009, 0.35 cpu second(s), 2731264 maximum memory.

kamran651 November 23, 2010 05:14

I face the same Problem..

Hey J...did u find the solution to your problem..coz i am facing the same error...i dont know what it is..im using XP..