CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (
-   -   [ICEM] Blocking strategy for inclined plate (

cbisw May 26, 2011 03:45

Blocking strategy for inclined plate
3 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to mesh an inclined plate with round edges inside of a rectangular canal (the plate spans the whole canal). I appended my first attempts at blocking and meshing as pictures. Unfortunately, with my strategy, I get bad cells originating at the tips of the plate. Does anyone have an idea how to improve on my blocking?

jeevankumarb May 26, 2011 07:54

Create O grid around the inclined plate i will improve the quality of the mesh

cbisw May 27, 2011 07:40

2 Attachment(s)
I had initially tried to use an o-grid but it looked bad, although that was because the vertice to point assignment was not optimal. I redid an o-grid with better assignment which looks better but quality-wise (judging from the 2x2x2 determinant and angle quality histograms) it is worse than my grid. I was still hoping maybe to improve it by using c-grids around the round edges but I'm having trouble placing the blocks properly (maybe I need more points like one at the tip of the edge?). Also maybe this will make it worse because my far field is not a circle?

jeevankumarb May 27, 2011 08:17

1 Attachment(s)
Try to create blocking as shown in the image, mostly that will be good to have a good quality. If you have any problem then if you can post your geometry then i will try to create the blocking and send you.