CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/)
-   -   [ICEM] Can I create hanging nodes in ICEM? (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/90586-can-i-create-hanging-nodes-icem.html)

leekj92 July 14, 2011 13:22

Can I create hanging nodes in ICEM?

Can I create hanging nodes in ICEM?
If so, could anyone give me a quick guideline?

Thanks!

cscalo April 8, 2013 00:52

Is there really no way to directly introduce hanging nodes in ICEM?

Why hasn't this issue been addressed? I see this thread is 2 years old. :mad:

asal April 8, 2013 03:13

Sure!

Blocking => Pre-mesh Parameters => Refinement

cscalo April 8, 2013 04:01

Hanging nodes - how do I 'unlink' adjacent blocks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asal (Post 418991)
Sure!

Blocking => Pre-mesh Parameters => Refinement

Hi asal, thank you for your response. I looked at this but I couldn't make it work. There is probably something I miss. I'm not in my office right now, but I will try this first thing tomorrow.

If I refine a block, will that unlink the bunching of its edges from the adjacent blocks? If I have one block and I split one edge I get two blocks. If both blocks are 'mapped', how do I refine one without touching the resolution of the other?

Thanks for your help!

asal April 8, 2013 05:14

Well,
If you have block and cut it out in to two blocks, then you can select one and refine it in all or one edge. Then based on your solver, you shoud decide to merge the nodes in the common adge.
If you want to run over fluent, then this software don't care about the double refinment, but for triple refinement, you have to merge the nodes at after converting to mesh.

Far April 8, 2013 14:18

For 2d refinement there was a bug which has been addressed in R 14.5

cscalo April 8, 2013 19:21

Making progress..

Quote:

Originally Posted by asal (Post 419029)
Well,
If you have block and cut it out in to two blocks, then you can select one and refine it in all or one edge. Then based on your solver, you shoud decide to merge the nodes in the common adge.
If you want to run over fluent, then this software don't care about the double refinment, but for triple refinement, you have to merge the nodes at after converting to mesh.

Thank you for your help, I'm making a lot of progress with your directions. My solver is an in-house code and it should work like Fluent but I'm not 100% sure.

So far I've managed to introduce the hanging nodes but I think I need to merge the meshes, right? I have blocks of hexa elements and it seems that the only way to merge them is with pyramids (I read this in the help). Should I split the vertices on the common edge? Can I have some help on how to proceed after the refinement?

Thanks guys

cscalo April 9, 2013 01:02

found the problem.. but still not there..

Hi folks - so I managed to make things work by splitting the main block into (say) three parts, refining one block then rebuilding the mesh topology. This last step recreated some nodes that allow my solver to understand the connectivity. However, the faces in between blocks are now recognized as "parts", i.e. physical boundaries. Any ideas? It tells me that Fluent does not want uncovered faces, but how can I cover these intra-block faces without having my solver (which I think behaves exactly like Fluent) think they are boundaries?