CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (
-   -   [ICEM] Simple meshing problem in ICEM (

fkh February 13, 2012 00:20

Simple meshing problem in ICEM
Hi All,

I'm a beginner in ICEM and Fluent.:(

I am currently having a problem with the meshing in ICEM. I have created an internal surface inside a domain puerly as a calculation surface (not intend to influence the flow inside the domain). However, when I am creating the meshes for the domain, the meshes have filled out the whole domain and for every boundaries except this internal surface.

There are no particular meshes generated for this internal surface, and later when I import the domain into Fluent, this internal surface is even missing.

Can anyone please give me some hints or advices to solve this problem please?

Thank you very much.

fkh February 13, 2012 01:11

Forget to say I divide the edges into certian portion using the "Pre-mesh Params" to create an orthogonal grid system.

Please help, thx!

fkh February 13, 2012 03:39

I have uploaded the .msh file for reference.

Thank you very much.

rikio February 14, 2012 04:03

If it is a solid surface, you need to associate the topo face to geometrical surface. If it is just a virtual surface, you do not need to creat it, just get variables in a plane which could be generated in the CFX Post.

fkh February 14, 2012 04:15

Thx Rikio.

I just figure it out I can create a virutal plane in Fluent.:D

rikio February 14, 2012 04:37

Sounds good. :)

PSYMN February 14, 2012 14:01

For future reference...

If you do want an internal block face to project to a surface and generate shell elements, you can just go into the blocking => Associate DEZ and associate face to surface...