CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/)
-   -   [ICEM] ICEM - how to create different regions (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/97238-icem-how-create-different-regions.html)

RodriguezFatz February 13, 2012 04:41

ICEM - how to create different regions

Hi,

I try to reproduce some simple 2d instabilities in Fluent and am stuck at some point. For it, I need to initialize the domain with two different fluids, which start at different locations in the domain (two seperated fluids wich interact for t>0).

I found out, that I can mesh two different regions in my grid (I think they are called "parts", but I am not sure) where I can use the "patch"-function of Fluent to initialize the domain with the two fluids.

I create the geometry with DesignModeler and import it in ICEM. I know how to create a conventional grid but not how to get those two parts.

I appreciate any help!

PSYMN February 14, 2012 10:31

You can create named selections in DM which will come into ICEM CFD as parts, or you can just right click on the parts branch of the model tree in ICEM CFD to create a new part... Then just select which entities you want to add to the part.

In this case, you have a 2D model, so you only want to add the surfaces to the fluid parts. Do not add curves or points...

RodriguezFatz February 14, 2012 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSYMN (Post 344365)
You can create named selections in DM which will come into ICEM CFD as parts, or you can just right click on the parts branch of the model tree in ICEM CFD to create a new part... Then just select which entities you want to add to the part.

In this case, you have a 2D model, so you only want to add the surfaces to the fluid parts. Do not add curves or points...

Hi Simon, thanks a lot.
I already did the DM named selections before importing the geometry. In ICEM parts are shown as you explained. Now I created a block in ICEM, associated edges to curves ect. and I created a grid on the complete domain. Can I split this complete grid, or what is the next step? I don't really get what you mean by "select which entities you want to add to the part"

PSYMN February 14, 2012 13:04

You can add a block split to separate the fluid regions, but you will export the file all at once...

Not sure I understand the situation... Maybe add a picture. (use the paperclip in the first row of the icons to attach the image)...

RodriguezFatz February 15, 2012 03:07

1 Attachment(s)
My question was: Once I split the block and created blocks for each seperated region, I don't know how to "add" each splitted block to the named selection.
When I just export what I did, I don't see two cell zones in fluent, just a single one called "FLUID" (I think that's how I called the Part under "Create Block" in ICEM).

PSYMN February 15, 2012 14:54

Yes, in 3D you would need to put those blocks into the right Blocking Materials... But this is a 2D case right? The shell mesh which becomes your 2D fluid zones is simply determined by the underlying surfaces... Put those surfaces in the parts you need and the mesh will come out fine.

Simon

RodriguezFatz February 16, 2012 03:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSYMN (Post 344656)
Yes, in 3D you would need to put those blocks into the right Blocking Materials... But this is a 2D case right?

2d is correct, yes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSYMN (Post 344656)
The shell mesh which becomes your 2D fluid zones is simply determined by the underlying surfaces... Put those surfaces in the parts you need and the mesh will come out fine.

But how can I do that. (Sorry, I am still slow on the uptake!)

RodriguezFatz February 20, 2012 10:20

Anyone who can help me?

rikio February 24, 2012 08:18

Add the surfaces to separated parts. Generally the faces of block would automatic associate to surfaces. What Simon was meaning is the automatic association. And alternatively, you can also manually work out the association solution.

Check the help, you will get the answer you want :-)

RodriguezFatz February 24, 2012 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikio (Post 346127)
Add the surfaces to separated parts. Generally the faces of block would automatic associate to surfaces. What Simon was meaning is the automatic association. And alternatively, you can also manually work out the association solution.

Check the help, you will get the answer you want :-)

Unfortunately, i have never found anything usefull in ICEM help... :(
Specially not where to click and what to do regarding this problem.

manojkv May 30, 2014 10:19

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I am facing a this problem from quite sometime now. I am not able to create parts other than "Create Part by Selection". Its disable for some reasons, please find the screenshot and let me know in case if anyone know the solution to this. Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Manoj