CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS Meshing & Geometry (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/)
-   -   [ICEM] Meshing an irregular geometry (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys-meshing/98088-meshing-irregular-geometry.html)

Fabio Tabacow March 2, 2012 15:42

Meshing an irregular geometry

Hi,

I have a ""stl file" that it is a irregular geometry, and with ICEM CFD I saw that I can import this file to this software, but now, I have a problem....How can I build the mesh in my geometry????

I was reading the guide, and apears some doubts.... I need to make a surface to build the mesh or I can build the mesh only with this geometry???

sorry about the english..heheh...

Thank you!
Fabio

jm2011 April 7, 2012 06:50

You can use the blocking method or an unstructured mesh (eg octree) to mesh a STL surface, similar to other file formats. Just extrude the curves on the edge of the surface to create a volume if that's what you need. What do you mean by irregular though?

cdegroot April 7, 2012 16:01

I have meshed several stl surfaces successfully. For a complex surface (i.e. anything biomedical or resulting from some kind of scan of a physical object) your best bet is to use an Octree mesh. If you are using for CFD you should then delete the volume elements, smooth the surface mesh, and generate a Delaunay volume mesh. You can then smooth the Delaunay mesh if desired. Also, it is typically a good idea to "build topology" before you start meshing. However, for a complex surface this usually leads to a lot of curves that don't really capture any geometric features. Delete any such curves before meshing. Also delete any extraneous points.

Fabio Tabacow July 2, 2012 14:25

Irregular geometry in my case, is the geometry of a real artery......

I have de surface of an abdominal aortic aneurysm..... I will try to do what you said.....

I built the topology to have some curves and points, and all curves and points have the same part of the surface.........How can I move this curves for the new part that I created?

Thank you for the help!!!

Fabio Tabacow July 2, 2012 14:34

1 Attachment(s)
The geometry that I'm working at is the picture that I attached...

Azy May 7, 2014 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdegroot (Post 353630)
I have meshed several stl surfaces successfully. For a complex surface (i.e. anything biomedical or resulting from some kind of scan of a physical object) your best bet is to use an Octree mesh. If you are using for CFD you should then delete the volume elements, smooth the surface mesh, and generate a Delaunay volume mesh. You can then smooth the Delaunay mesh if desired. Also, it is typically a good idea to "build topology" before you start meshing. However, for a complex surface this usually leads to a lot of curves that don't really capture any geometric features. Delete any such curves before meshing. Also delete any extraneous points.

you know, I saw the same as you described in the manual. I tried it out many times and it didn't work. but the way you said it, it works! thanks alot:)

cdegroot May 7, 2014 16:03

That's great. I'm glad it worked for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azy (Post 490472)
you know, I saw the same as you described in the manual. I tried it out many times and it didn't work. but the way you said it, it works! thanks alot:)