CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys/)
-   -   Fluid Structure Interaction tutorial (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys/100065-fluid-structure-interaction-tutorial.html)

C12Carbon April 19, 2012 10:04

Fluid Structure Interaction tutorial

Hi, I hope someone helps me about a couple of things! I'd like to simulate a fluid structure interaction of a deformable body. I want to view how it is deforming under fluid forces and even have an FRF analysis of the body to understand in which cases it has flutter and also know the stress and strain in that cases! Somebody knows some tutorials or a guide that explain the procedure I have to follow? I use complete Ansys 12.1.
Thank you for your attention
Luca

tmeysam92 May 30, 2012 16:43

HI Luca,

did you find tutorial?????

I want to work on fsi problem, but i do not have any tutorials

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my email:

Tmeysam92@yahoo.com

meysam

C12Carbon May 30, 2012 16:52

Hi meysam! Unfortunately I haven't found any tutorial and nobody answerd me to give me some info about... I hope someone will help me soon because I really don't know I could do it! If you will have some news please let me update about it; I'll do it too
Luca

p.galimutti May 30, 2012 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by C12Carbon (Post 355632)
Hi, I hope someone helps me about a couple of things! I'd like to simulate a fluid structure interaction of a deformable body. I want to view how it is deforming under fluid forces and even have an FRF analysis of the body to understand in which cases it has flutter and also know the stress and strain in that cases! Somebody knows some tutorials or a guide that explain the procedure I have to follow? I use complete Ansys 12.1.
Luca

Firstly, is it a 2-way fSI. which means the deformation of solid produces a significant change in flow field or is it a one way fsi? which means the deformation of solid does not produce any significant change in flow field or it can be neglected.

For ansys 12.1 if it is 2-way you need to use cfx or Autodyn.
if it is one way fsi you can use either fluent or cfx.

for 12.1/13.0 versions, you have a tutorial in ansys customer portal titled "Fluid Structure Interaction and Mesh Deformation". The files are located in install die/examples/cfx/valveFSI.pre.

But first you need to go through CFX tutorials if you are not familiar with it.

HTH

C12Carbon May 31, 2012 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.galimutti (Post 363920)
Firstly, is it a 2-way fSI. which means the deformation of solid produces a significant change in flow field or is it a one way fsi? which means the deformation of solid does not produce any significant change in flow field or it can be neglected.

for 12.1/13.0 versions, you have a tutorial in ansys customer portal titled "Fluid Structure Interaction and Mesh Deformation". The files are located in install die/examples/cfx/valveFSI.pre.

HTH

Well, surely what I want simulate belongs to the on way, infact it produces deformations that could be neglected... it isn't a sail but it looks like a turbine more. Anyway Am I able to do modal analysis using CFX? My first problem is undestand in which case of fluid velocity or pressure I could have flutter on my structure! For example, if you have an airplane wing and if you change inlet air velocity, CFX is able to give me the deformed shape of wing and as and how it moves under that determinate fluid field? If you want to do this "simple" simulation, what do you do?
Thank you for the answer
Luca

p.galimutti May 31, 2012 14:13

if i have to do wing analysis i'll create a geometry with fluid and solid together.
create a structural component (Static structural) and CFX. Link the setup cell.

in the structural component suppress the fluid part and mesh solid only, and create fluid solid interface.
in the fluid component say CFX, suppress the solid and mesh the fluid region and solve. After that map the fluid loads on the fsi interface already defined in structural component and solve for displacements.
HTH

C12Carbon June 1, 2012 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.galimutti (Post 364130)
if i have to do wing analysis i'll create a geometry with fluid and solid together.
create a structural component (Static structural) and CFX. Link the setup cell.

in the structural component suppress the fluid part and mesh solid only, and create fluid solid interface.
in the fluid component say CFX, suppress the solid and mesh the fluid region and solve. After that map the fluid loads on the fsi interface already defined in structural component and solve for displacements.
HTH

Thank you so much for your answer! This kind of process should do in the ANSYS Workbench, in CFX or in other place?
Thank you
Luca

p.galimutti June 1, 2012 08:24

The one that I explained is a workbench setting. I would advise you to go through tutorials related to fsi simulation in ansys customer portal.

C12Carbon June 1, 2012 08:41

Thank you so much! As soon as I have some news I'll post them!

tmeysam92 June 7, 2012 16:42

hi

Hi C12Carbon,

did you find the tutorial files in customer portal???

I do not have customer portal user name and password.

if you find it , please help me. I need ansys fluent fsi.

tmeysam92@yahoo.com

tmeysam92 June 7, 2012 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.galimutti (Post 363920)

HTH

Hi p.galimutti,

do you have any tutorial about ansys fluent FSi problems.

I do not have username and password for customer portal.

could you please help me.
thanks in advance.
Tmeysam92@yahoo.com

seyed July 21, 2012 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmeysam92 (Post 363917)
HI Luca,

did you find tutorial?????

I want to work on fsi problem, but i do not have any tutorials

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my email:

Tmeysam92@yahoo.com

meysam

Hi meysam, I have a problem in my FSI analysis, when the run of ANSYS/CFX (in wokbench) starts after a while an error saying "the CFX solver did not produce a results file" appears, whats the problem?
In the "Out File"tab in CFX solver manager the sequence of errors begin from this error:
Error #001100279 has occurred in subroutine ErrAction.
Massage:
CFX encountered the error: Read.Fatal error occurred when requesting Total mesh displacement for interface
please help me.:confused:

tmeysam92 July 22, 2012 04:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by seyed (Post 372775)
Hi meysam, I have a problem in my FSI analysis, when the run of ANSYS/CFX (in wokbench) starts after a while an error saying "the CFX solver did not produce a results file" appears, whats the problem?
In the "Out File"tab in CFX solver manager the sequence of errors begin from this error:
Error #001100279 has occurred in subroutine ErrAction.
Massage:
CFX encountered the error: Read.Fatal error occurred when requesting Total mesh displacement for interface
please help me.:confused:

hi seyed,

i'm really sorry.

i did not work with ansys fsi problem.
in reality i did not find fsi tutorials.

seyed July 23, 2012 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmeysam92 (Post 372848)
hi seyed,

i'm really sorry.

i did not work with ansys fsi problem.
in reality i did not find fsi tutorials.

thanks alot meysam, I found the solution!!! the time step was 0.1 s (too large) so the answers in ANSYS did not converge, I decreased it to 0.01 s. also the pressure load was large so the displacement in each time step was too large so I decreased it and the problem was solved.:p
"mokhlesim!!!"

tmeysam92 July 23, 2012 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by seyed (Post 373056)
thanks alot meysam, I found the solution!!! the time step was 0.1 s (too large) so the answers in ANSYS did not converge, I decreased it to 0.01 s. also the pressure load was large so the displacement in each time step was too large so I decreased it and the problem was solved.:p
"mokhlesim!!!"

hi seyed.

good job!!!!

mohandes mikhastam bebinam, tutorial fsi(fluent+ansys)
nadari????
ansys +cfx manzouram nist.

tmeysam92 July 25, 2012 00:07

2 Attachment(s)
hi All
I'm faced with two warning when open the project.

and then the solid component did not respond and any displacement in result.Attachment 14728

Attachment 14729

seyed July 25, 2012 04:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmeysam92 (Post 373098)
hi seyed.

good job!!!!

mohandes mikhastam bebinam, tutorial fsi(fluent+ansys)
nadari????
ansys +cfx manzouram nist.

I think there is no way to couple ANSYS with FLUENT, in workbench when you right click on the setup cell of transient-structural there is no way to transfer data to FLUENT.
I have a suggestion!
Go and learn about ANSYS macro...

Gweher July 25, 2012 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by seyed (Post 373403)
I think there is no way to couple ANSYS with FLUENT

Fluent 2 way FSI

sumit_raised July 27, 2012 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by C12Carbon (Post 355632)
Luca

Why don't you try the oscillating plate tutorial? It's is present in ANSYS WORKBENCH 13.0 and 12.1 also.

You will find it under help>tutorial>search>oscillating plate.

Its good. I recently finished that involving transient control. If any queries while conducting that, tell me. I will try my level best to sort that. :)

seyed July 31, 2012 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gweher (Post 373412)

I'm working with ANSYS 12.1, it seems to be possible to couple ANSYS with FLUENT in ANSYS 14 release.