CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   ANSYS (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys/)
-   -   how to show array over the steamline in CFD-post (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ansys/118617-how-show-array-over-steamline-cfd-post.html)

asal May 31, 2013 02:19

how to show array over the steamline in CFD-post

Hello everybody.
I want to know if it is possible to show the direction of streamlines by some sort of array?
thanks.

mjgraf June 1, 2013 21:41

Not sure what you mean by an array?

you could create a vector plot using the streamline and set to use arrowheads if you want to see the direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asal (Post 431113)
Hello everybody.
I want to know if it is possible to show the direction of streamlines by some sort of array?
thanks.

asal June 3, 2013 06:02

Hello and thanks for your reply.
But the arrowheads are not Coincident exactly the streamlines. there is no any other solution?

mjgraf June 3, 2013 10:38

1 Attachment(s)
Did you set the Vector location to the streamline?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asal (Post 431586)
Hello and thanks for your reply.
But the arrowheads are not Coincident exactly the streamlines. there is no any other solution?

asal June 3, 2013 17:34

Hello

How can I do this? I have Plotted both in over the same face

mjgraf June 3, 2013 23:01

Create a streamline from any location you desire (surface, plane, polyline, etc.).

Create a vector using the streamline as the Location and configure as you desire.

That's it.

Now, if you are going for a very specific type of look, then we need a bit more of a description or example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asal (Post 431765)
Hello

How can I do this? I have Plotted both in over the same face

asal June 4, 2013 06:09

Dear mjgraf
Thanks for your time and reply.

I follow this:
First I plot the 2D streamline over a surface "streamline 1". them I plot a vector by the following properties:
Locations "streamline 1"
But by choosing the streamline as location, no vector shown over the streamlines.
Moreover I try to use the Symbol tab of streamline to show the Arrow head from there, but the problem there is that, there is no option to plot symbols tangentially since the streamline is plotted in 2D.
thanks.

mjgraf June 4, 2013 09:07

From what you are now describing, it seems you are performing a surface restricted streamline on a WALL. This adds a little twist. The vector must be changed to use Conservative Boundary Data.

Also, a streamline by definition is tangent to the velocity vector of the flow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asal (Post 431846)
Dear mjgraf
Thanks for your time and reply.

I follow this:
First I plot the 2D streamline over a surface "streamline 1". them I plot a vector by the following properties:
Locations "streamline 1"
But by choosing the streamline as location, no vector shown over the streamlines.
Moreover I try to use the Symbol tab of streamline to show the Arrow head from there, but the problem there is that, there is no option to plot symbols tangentially since the streamline is plotted in 2D.
thanks.

asal June 5, 2013 20:05

Hello!

So is there any solution in the case? why when I want to plot arrowheads over the stramline location, nothing shown?

mjgraf June 5, 2013 20:41

try checking the normalize button in the vector size.

the method I provided is the solution. either you are doing something wrong or there is an oddity with your setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asal (Post 432298)
Hello!

So is there any solution in the case? why when I want to plot arrowheads over the stramline location, nothing shown?

asal June 6, 2013 06:00

4 Attachment(s)
Hello.

I use the method that you mentholated, you can see the results in the attached figures. But I am looking for the plot exact same as you attachment.