CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > ANSYS

CFX For Heating Coils

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   April 19, 2011, 23:03
Default CFX For Heating Coils
  #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
zephyrus17 is on a distinguished road
What would be the best turbulence modelling/setup to analysis airflow through convection coils? Physical testing shows a drop of around 40Pa with actual coils, but the CFX analysis only shows a 1Pa drop with K-e at 5% turbulence.
zephyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 21, 2011, 08:32
Default
  #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 7
seaharrier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post
What would be the best turbulence modelling/setup to analysis airflow through convection coils? Physical testing shows a drop of around 40Pa with actual coils, but the CFX analysis only shows a 1Pa drop with K-e at 5% turbulence.

Maybe you can consider the real wall roughness,
seaharrier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 21, 2011, 08:40
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
zephyrus17 is on a distinguished road
I've thought about that, but it shouldn't affect it that much. All the 'walls' are smooth as they're made from sheet metal, or by extrusion.

There are fins 0.2mm thick, 2mm apart. There are only 2 rows of coils that the air has to pass through and they're arranged in a staggard manner.

My input is mass flow rate and outlet is an opening, though this should be fine.
zephyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 22, 2011, 00:19
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 7
seaharrier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post
I've thought about that, but it shouldn't affect it that much. All the 'walls' are smooth as they're made from sheet metal, or by extrusion.

There are fins 0.2mm thick, 2mm apart. There are only 2 rows of coils that the air has to pass through and they're arranged in a staggard manner.

My input is mass flow rate and outlet is an opening, though this should be fine.
The pressure loss should mainly come from the stirring of fins,
but how much does the turbulence influence the pressure loss?
maybe a little.

The inlet Re number can be estimated.
changing over to other boundary conditions of Inlet or Outlet perhaps does some effect, but the effect is unlikely so great level.
seaharrier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 22, 2011, 00:56
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
zephyrus17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaharrier View Post
The pressure loss should mainly come from the stirring of fins
Speaking of fins, on the real thing, the fins are slightly wavy. Instead of "-------", they are "/\/\/\/\/\". Highly, highly exaggerated, of course but there's a slight kink. Could that have caused any major eddies of turbulence to impede airflow?
zephyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 15, 2011, 14:50
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Vijaya Sekhar Gullapalli
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
gullapallivijay is on a distinguished road
Using RNG k-e and standard k-e an error of 40% is found in pressure drop compared to experimental results for liquid flow in plate heat exchangers. SST k-w models resulted aound 18% in a study. Up to 20% difference in pressure drop is observed using various near wall resolutions. What reference pressure is used while using air?
gullapallivijay is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[ICEM] Proper way to name boundaries on 2D model for use in CFX? RossFS ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 4 November 10, 2011 03:38
Pros and Cons for CFX, CFdesign, COMSOL Val Main CFD Forum 3 June 10, 2011 03:20
CFX pressure in Simulations problem nasdak CFX 1 April 14, 2010 14:22
PhD using CFX Rui CFX 9 May 28, 2007 06:59
CFX 4.4 installation problem Pandu Sattvika CFX 1 December 1, 2001 05:07


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:47.