CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   CFX (
-   -   CFD for sugar mill (

Sanyo August 11, 2012 07:04

CFD for sugar mill
Hello All,

Is there any way to improve the sugar mill efficiency & productivity using CFD analysis? I know that CFD analysis can be done for evaporators, clarifiers, tube erosion, crystallization. But I dont know how it is going to improve the efficiency & productivity of a mill. Can anybody help?

Thanks & regards,

ghorrocks August 12, 2012 07:59

CFD does not, in itself, improve the efficiency and productivity of anything. CFD is just a numerical experiment - you set up a condition and CFD gives you a result. It is up to the skill of the engineer driving the CFD to turn that CFD result into knowledge and that knowledge into a better plant design.

But I do not know whether that answers your question :)

Sanyo August 13, 2012 09:10

Thanks Glenn.

Is there any idea to carry out such an experiment into the CFD?

Thanks & regards,

Felggv August 13, 2012 10:17

I believe you could start by understanding the essential steps to set up a simulation in CFX.

For instance, drawing your model, generating the mesh, setting up the physical conditions and so on...

That's the beginning of the process!

Good luck :)

Sanyo August 13, 2012 11:21

Thank you very much Felipe for your response.

I am familiar with CFD & had executed few projects too. What I want is the target equipment for analysis which could improve the efficiency or productivity of mill. I am not familiar with sugar mill processes. To understand the process & target the key equipment could require lot of time.

I dont think that much work is done for sugar mills. I am just checking if somebody had already achieved such improvement or at least know a way.

Thanks & regards,:)

Felggv August 13, 2012 13:26

What you can do is go to and search for some articles about that.

Like keywords mills + CFD or something that suits your purpose.

Sanyo August 16, 2012 07:19

Thank you very much. I will try & will keep posted if find anything.

ghorrocks August 16, 2012 07:46

A colleague of mine has done CFD work in sugar mills -