CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   CFX (
-   -   CFD Post: Location of maximum and minimum velocities! (

JuPa August 29, 2012 07:53

CFD Post: Location of maximum and minimum velocities!

I'm using Ansys CFD post. To get the maximum and minimum v component of velocity I'm using:

maxVal(velocity v)@Domain
minVal(velocity v)@Domain

This gives me the maximum and minimum values of the v component of velocity. But I also need the location of those values.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you. :)

Felggv August 29, 2012 14:47

Try creating planes and ploting contours on them.

By the colours you should know where to expect them!

Good luck.

JuPa August 30, 2012 14:46

Thanks, but is there a way to give me a precise location?

I've found that the minimum velocity is nearest to node 9234. Is there a way to determine the coordinates of that node with respect to my geometry?

bratzinger August 31, 2012 05:33

i would create a Point(e.g. xyz-method: click in the x-pos. field and then on that node ... ) where the node is (then you have your location) and probe(X)@Point 1, probe(Y)@Point 1 ...

haven't found a more elegant and automatic way to do this yet (maybe with variables/expressions?)

D.B August 31, 2012 05:52

Define a point with variable Maximum/Minimum of the variable you are looking for. Then export co-ordinates of these points, by export option in file, or probe X, Y and Z co-ordinate of this point if fuction calculator

bratzinger August 31, 2012 07:34

thx D.B
somehow i newer looked at the different methods to create a point ^^

JuPa August 31, 2012 09:51

Thank you D.B. Using your method of defining a point, and then probing the point I was able to find the maximum and minimum velocities, and their coordinates.