CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   CFX (
-   -   Convergence Criteria for first Timestep in transient run (

aerost February 14, 2013 21:11

Convergence Criteria for first Timestep in transient run

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a different convergence criteria for the first timestep of a transient simulation?

I would like to converge the first timestep for a minimum of ~500 iterations, then allow each subsequent timestep to end at a maximum of say ~50 iterations. Is this possible?

ghorrocks February 15, 2013 06:47

You could try making the max number of iterations a CEL expression.

But 500 coeff loops for an iteration is crazy. This is FAR too much. Even 50 per iteration is too much. A far better way is to use adaptive time stepping homing in on 3-5 coeff loops per iteration. Much faster and more accurate.

aerost February 18, 2013 20:46

Thank you. I think you are right after a bit of research. These transient sims are pretty time intensive so it's not the time to be learning by trial and error.

My specific case is a turbomachinery case and I have found that the solution takes many timesteps to converge towards a realistic and periodic one. As a result I end up throwing out many of the first few timesteps. That works, but I'd prefer to find a way to converge to a useful solution in the first couple of timesteps to save time and space.

At any rate... I am trying an approach with more timesteps and a lower number of iterations to see if the results come out acceptably... thanks again.

ghorrocks February 19, 2013 05:01

If you do not care about the initial transient then do not bother accurately simulating it. Just do it approximately and quickly and use a more accurate setup when the flow has matured.

But the adaptive timesteps with 3-5 coeff loops per time steps is almost always the best option available. You are wasting your time by doing anything else.