Using initial values specification with scripting

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   September 5, 2013, 06:14
Default Using initial values specification with scripting

Anna
Kirjain is on a distinguished road
Hullo,

I'm currently working on a small university project, trying to investigate the effect of increasing Mach number on the shock formation in a nozzle.
To actually run the simulations I've been instructed to write a script to make my life easier. I'm running CFX Solver Manager remotely and sending off my files to another computer (I'm not too sure how this works as my knowledge of computing is limited). Nevertheless, this means I have to start off the simulation using the script and thus can't add initial values files (.res) by hand /with easy mouse clicking to the simulation I'm sending off. I tried adding the initial values file to my script but when I open the solve manager the run always seems to start from scratch. In other words if I define a run and say in my script I want the simulation to run let's say for two hours, I can't continue it remotely afterwards as the script doesn't work. Could someone please help me? I've added part of the script below in order to make things a bit easier to understand, sorry again for my lack of knowledge in the exact terminology and all that..!

-------------------------------
cd $PTMP/files
cfx5solve -par-dist $CFX_HOSTLIST -start-method "$LRZ_SYSTEM_SEGMENT" -double -def ExampleCase2.def -ini-file ExampleCase1_001.res -maxet "110 [min]"
-------------------------------

As seen above I (using the script) move to the right folder and define the .def file I want to use for the simulation. This works perfectly. But defining the initialisation file doesn't. What is the matter?

Thank-you for your time! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tara,
Anna
Kirjain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 5, 2013, 08:11
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
ghorrocks has a spectacular aura aboutghorrocks has a spectacular aura aboutghorrocks has a spectacular aura about
What error message does it give?
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 5, 2013, 08:51

Edmund Singer P.E.
singer1812 is on a distinguished road
Your post is also unclear. Are you having trouble with the run not using the initial file or are you talking about a restart after you have run it for 110min and it wont run anymore?

A simple work around for the initial file issue is to just use the interpolator in the Solver GUI and remove the -initial-file portion of the script as the def file will have the values within it.
singer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 5, 2013, 09:33

Lance
Lance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirjain View Post
Hullo,
I tried adding the initial values file to my script but when I open the solve manager the run always seems to start from scratch.

cfx5solve -par-dist $CFX_HOSTLIST -start-method "$LRZ_SYSTEM_SEGMENT" -double -def ExampleCase2.def -ini-file ExampleCase1_001.res -maxet "110 [min]"
If you use -ini-file <file> the run history is discarded from the .res file and you start from time = 0. If instead you use -continue-from-file <file> the run history is kept and you start from where the .res file ended.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 5, 2013, 15:44

Bruno
brunoc is on a distinguished road
Just to add something, for a complete list of command line options you can issue 'cfx5solve -help' on the prompt, as well as search the manual for 'cfx5solve command line'. It's one of the first hits.

Cheers.
brunoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cfx solver manager, initial values, scripting