CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > CFX

Calculating the local time scale or reading it from available expressions

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 13, 2016, 04:18
Default Calculating the local time scale or reading it from available expressions
  #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 2
honcho62 is on a distinguished road
I am in the process of modeling vortex generators as source terms. To do this I will apply a certain momentum in some cells. This momentum is calculated with the use of the local time scale factor, defined by the paper('A tuning free body force vortex generator model by F. Wallin') as

\tau = \frac{\delta{}x}{|u| + c}

I'm having trouble finding a way to implement \delta{}x, which is the local grid size, there does not seem to be an available CEL expression like there is for the others, magnitude of velocity or speed of sound. Does anyone have any tips?

Furthermore, I will need to integrate this constant together with the local velocity. That means I would need to a transient simulation, right? There is no point in integrating the local velocity in a steady state simulation I would assume.
honcho62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 13, 2016, 06:35
Default
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Glenn Horrocks
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 12,831
Rep Power: 100
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
Speed of sound and Magnitude of Velocity: Variables exist for these, look in the CFX documentation in the reference guide for a list of available variables.

I don't think loal mesh size is available. You could use the cube root of the volume variable (which is the control volume's volume). But I am very wary of your function as it goes to zero as the mesh gets smaller - it is inherently mesh sensitive. This does not sound physically realistic to me.

You need to integrate your function with the local velocity - what do you mean? What type of integral? Please give the equation you wish to model.
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 13, 2016, 06:46
Default
  #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 2
honcho62 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorrocks View Post
Speed of sound and Magnitude of Velocity: Variables exist for these, look in the CFX documentation in the reference guide for a list of available variables.

I don't think loal mesh size is available. You could use the cube root of the volume variable (which is the control volume's volume). But I am very wary of your function as it goes to zero as the mesh gets smaller - it is inherently mesh sensitive. This does not sound physically realistic to me.

You need to integrate your function with the local velocity - what do you mean? What type of integral? Please give the equation you wish to model.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I have found those two expressions, it's the local mesh size that I haven't found yet. Cube root might work, but then your elements would need to resemble a cube for it to be accurate.

The paper gives the derivative of body force

\frac{\partial{}f}{\partial{}t} = - \lambda{}(\rho{}u_in_i)

with \lambda being equal to the \tau^{-2} from the previous equation, and the others density, local velocity and the VG normal vector.

So in order to implement that the body force you need to integrate that equation. Which would mean you would have to integrate the local velocity. Something to tune of

f = \int{} - \lambda{}(\rho{}u_in_i) dt
honcho62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 13, 2016, 07:22
Default
  #4
Super Moderator
 
Glenn Horrocks
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 12,831
Rep Power: 100
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
then your elements would need to resemble a cube for it to be accurate.
This is another problem with the approach - how does it handle irregular element shapes? This is another problem with functions like this.

And integrating it over time just adds to the problem. Can you explain to me how a body force can be a function of flow conditions in the past?

Regardless - to answer your question: Have a look at the units of momentum source terms. That will tell you the units of the function you are looking for and I suspect will help you. Don't forget you will probably need a momentum source term coefficient as well - these are described in the documentation.
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 13, 2016, 07:50
Default
  #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 2
honcho62 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorrocks View Post
This is another problem with the approach - how does it handle irregular element shapes? This is another problem with functions like this.

And integrating it over time just adds to the problem. Can you explain to me how a body force can be a function of flow conditions in the past?

Regardless - to answer your question: Have a look at the units of momentum source terms. That will tell you the units of the function you are looking for and I suspect will help you. Don't forget you will probably need a momentum source term coefficient as well - these are described in the documentation.
This paper does seem to raise more questions than answer them.

That doesn't seem physical, but I suppose the author wants to mimic a certain affect. He states the expression comes from equating the flow tangency condition to the rate of change in the normal force. But doesn't explain what the implications of it are, as you have just shown.

The units do match though, I did check those. And thanks for the tip. I have found other models, but this had one promising feature. Though I should take a more critical look at my choice now. Thanks for the help
honcho62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 14, 2016, 04:11
Default
  #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 34
Rep Power: 2
honcho62 is on a distinguished road
Somewhat related to this issue. Is it at all possible to obtain more geometrical information about a mesh volume (in CFX pre that is, not in the MESH environment)?

I want to check whether a line (or a point on that line) is crosses/inhabits a mesh volume. So I would need data about the grid edges but this seems unavailable, is that correct?

I have managed to make a method that checks whether grid nodes are in a volume, but the latter would be preferred.

I have added an image to illustrate my point a bit better.

honcho62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 14, 2016, 05:56
Default
  #7
Super Moderator
 
Glenn Horrocks
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 12,831
Rep Power: 100
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
You would need to do this using user fortran. But I am no expert on user fortran so cannot help you there.
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
source terms

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extrusion with OpenFoam problem No. Iterations 0 Lord Kelvin OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 8 March 28, 2016 11:08
Floating point exception error lpz_michele OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 53 October 19, 2015 02:50
AMI speed performance danny123 OpenFOAM 19 October 24, 2012 07:44
High Courant Number @ icoFoam Artex85 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 9 January 3, 2012 09:06
Upgraded from Karmic Koala 9.10 to Lucid Lynx10.04.3 bookie56 OpenFOAM Installation 8 August 13, 2011 04:03


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:52.