CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   CFX (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/)
-   -   FSI modeling of a surface effect ship!!! (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/71462-fsi-modeling-surface-effect-ship.html)

smn January 4, 2010 05:06

FSI modeling of a surface effect ship!!!
 
hi:
i have done alot of fsi problems such as blood vessles and piping systems.Now i want to model a ship on water using fsi and analyze the effects of water on the ship and its movements...can anyone help me and introduce a similar tutarial?
regards

stumpy January 6, 2010 15:34

Unless you are interested in hull stresses, I would not use 2-way FSI for this. Instead use the 6-DOF rigid body solver in version 12.0 or later (beta feature).

Abou ali January 6, 2010 16:59

Hi,
Such CFD problems can be modeled in CFX by using features as Two fluids, Free surface, Mesh motion and Mesh adaptation, it seems to be a very complicate simulation but it is interesting.
In CFX Tutorial you can find two tutorials which help you to do this simulation:
1- Tutorial 7: Free Surface Flow Over a Bump;
2- Tutorial 20: Fluid Structure Interaction and Mesh Deformation.

smn January 11, 2010 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpy (Post 241672)
Unless you are interested in hull stresses, I would not use 2-way FSI for this. Instead use the 6-DOF rigid body solver in version 12.0 or later (beta feature).

thank for your reply,would you please explain more,regards

stumpy January 11, 2010 15:03

If you turn on beta features in CFX-Pre v12 you'll find you can add a rigid body object to the simulation. CFX will calculate the motion of the hull due to the fluid forces, treating it as a rigid body. The mesh motion at the hull wall boundary can use the "from rigid body solution" option. I'm sure CFX tech support would have examples they can send. This is by far the easiest way to simulate hulls, as long as the deformation of the hull can be neglected (which implies no stresses are calculated).

smn January 12, 2010 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpy (Post 242212)
If you turn on beta features in CFX-Pre v12 you'll find you can add a rigid body object to the simulation. CFX will calculate the motion of the hull due to the fluid forces, treating it as a rigid body. The mesh motion at the hull wall boundary can use the "from rigid body solution" option. I'm sure CFX tech support would have examples they can send. This is by far the easiest way to simulate hulls, as long as the deformation of the hull can be neglected (which implies no stresses are calculated).

Is it also possible in ver11?
would you please introduce a solved example or tutorial?
thanks

ghorrocks January 12, 2010 18:05

This stuff was vastly improved in V12. Don't even bother trying to do it in V11.

smn January 17, 2010 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghorrocks (Post 242351)
This stuff was vastly improved in V12. Don't even bother trying to do it in V11.

thhanks for your reply,would you please introduce tutorial or examples about that?

ghorrocks January 17, 2010 17:15

V12 comes with a number of tutorial examples in this area, and the CFX support have a lot more available on request. Talk to your CFX support person to get the examples.

smn January 26, 2010 03:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghorrocks (Post 242857)
V12 comes with a number of tutorial examples in this area, and the CFX support have a lot more available on request. Talk to your CFX support person to get the examples.

i cant get the helps of cfx supports...would you please tell me which options if v12 i should use? i mean for example explicit dynamic or others?
regards

ghorrocks January 26, 2010 17:26

Have a look on the ANSYS CFX website and it will show you the cool new stuff you can do with the rigid body solver. It also has lots of upgrades on FSI if that is of interest too.

But seriously, you are kidding yourself doing this type of work without support. If you are a student then talk to your supervisor about research licenses. If you have a pirate version, well.... D'oh!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53.