CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   CFX (
-   -   Post-Processing with Symmetry (

Jade M March 3, 2010 12:32

Post-Processing with Symmetry
How do you plot results for the full domain if symmetry was utilized in the analysis? Thanks so much for any information!

ghorrocks March 3, 2010 19:02

Use a transformation to get it to mirror at the symmetry plane. Some of the CFX tutorials do this, have a look there.

Jade M June 21, 2010 10:40

For those who are interested, I found a tutorial on ANSYS' site showing the steps using the Reflect/Mirror tool. With CFD-Post loaded, click File > Load State and select the .cst file. Right click in the graphics menu, and click Reflect/Mirror. Post asks "Which direction do you want the normal in?" Click the axis desired for mirroring the geometry. The .cst file should be located in the file structure dp0\CFX\Post. If the project involves multiple design points or cases, then go to the respective folders for the appropriate design point (dp1, or dp2, etc.) or for the appropriate case (CFX-1 or CFX-2, etc.).

Doginal January 13, 2016 19:38

Hey All

Sorry to bring up an old dead topic. But I created a reflect/mirror using the right click method listed here. Now I cannot seem to figure out how to get rid of it. I try using the same method (right click on wireframe and see option for mirror/reflect) however it only seems to be an option to create it, not remove it onces its already made.

Anyone know how to remove a mirror/reflect once already made?

ghorrocks January 14, 2016 02:48

Every object will have a transformation option as part of its settings. You can remove the mirror transforms by removing the transformation option in each object.

Doginal January 14, 2016 13:13

Originally Posted by ghorrocks (Post 580874)
Every object will have a transformation option as part of its settings. You can remove the mirror transforms by removing the transformation option in each object.

Thanks for the reply

Before reading this while trying to take screen grabs I actually noticed that there is the "default transform" option under the "user locations and plots" heading in the Outline tree. I managed to change that to match another case which removed my mirror. This one had stumped me for a while causing me quite the headache.

Note to developers, when you have a right click option to turn something on......keep it there to turn things off as well. It also doesn't help when the solution in the help documents is to push undo twice.

upender June 24, 2016 01:28

Hi, my model is axi-symmetric. What is the procedure to generate the complete geometry for visualization in this case?

Opaque June 24, 2016 10:25

Double click on the axisymmetric domain, and look at Instancing. You can make as many copies as you need to form the full circle

upender June 24, 2016 19:04

Hi opaque,
thanks for the reply. I tried increasing the instances beforehand but too many of them overload my computer. I was wondering, if in any way I could increase the angle of the 3D wedge that shows up in the graphic window by default.

Update: I have used a axis-symmetry condition in the mesh modeller. I can see that the mesh can be viewed in 3D. In static structural module, using such type of condition reflects in post-processing sessions. Is there a way to do the same for fluent and cfd post sessions?