CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   CFX (
-   -   Particle Tracking (

Claudia May 17, 2010 06:20

Particle Tracking

there are two possibilties for particle tracking in CFD: simultaneous and gradual. Which kind of tracking is implemented in CFX for steady state simulations?

Thanks in advance

ghorrocks May 17, 2010 06:42

I have no idea what simultaneous and gradual means. In CFX, for steady state simulations you can have one-way coupled particles (where the particles do not affect the flow field) and two-way coupled particles (where the particle affects the flow field).

Claudia May 17, 2010 06:59

Sorry, I think the question was not clear.

Just try again:

If I have a lagrangian particle tracking, I have a calculation of the particle tracks.
Does CFX calculate first one complete track from start to end and then the next track from start to end and so on?

takes CFX every particle at the same time, moves all particel a small timestep, and calculate them again?

Was it more clear?

ghorrocks May 17, 2010 08:07

I don't know. Why does it matter? In a steady state simulation run to convergence the answer will be the same.

Claudia May 17, 2010 08:10

This is a part of the simulation theory in my PhD. But you are right, it should have no influence on the results :-)

ghorrocks May 17, 2010 18:50

The more important question is how the particle tracks are coupled back to the flow in the case of two-way coupling. In this case the flow is solved, then the particle tracks are solved based on the flow field, then the flow is re-computed based on the coupling with the particle tracks.

Claudia May 18, 2010 02:42

Glenn, you are completely right, it was information only :-).
The Way of coupling is two-way and this is the right choice for this problem.

Greets, Claudia