CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   CFX (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/)
-   -   Additional Variable BC (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/76337-additional-variable-bc.html)

Eli May 22, 2010 11:33

Additional Variable BC

Hi There
How can I set such a Boundary condition on wall for an "Additional variable" C:

K \partial C/\partial x= H (C-C0)

K and H are constants.

It's like heat transfer coefficient for wall but the variable is C.
Thank you so much

Jordi May 22, 2010 12:42

It looks like a diffusion, is that your system? You do not provide very much info on your problem, but if it's like a heat convection, where C is temperature, then you can fix both temperature (C) and transfer coeff. (H) at the same surface, can't you?

ghorrocks May 23, 2010 18:49

Can do this with a gradient boundary with a CEL expression. Should be easy.

Eli May 24, 2010 15:19

Thank you so much Glenn :)
Your advices have always helped me and other students.
But would you please explain it more for me? or refer me to a tutorial or example?
I don't know how to interpret a gradient boundary.

Thanks again

Eli May 24, 2010 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordi (Post 259840)
It looks like a diffusion, is that your system? You do not provide very much info on your problem, but if it's like a heat convection, where C is temperature, then you can fix both temperature (C) and transfer coeff. (H) at the same surface, can't you?

Thanks Jordi for your attention,
C is a scaler variable and shows kind of concentration in the simulation, I just don't know how to define the Left hand of equation.

ghorrocks May 24, 2010 18:42

Recast the equation as dC/dx=H/K(C-C0) then you have the gradient of the scalar at the boundary is a simple function. Set the function to a CEL expression and it is done.

Set this for the additional variable boundary condition at the walls.

Lance January 13, 2011 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli (Post 259835)
Hi There
How can I set such a Boundary condition on wall for an "Additional variable" C:

K \partial C/\partial x= H (C-C0)

K and H are constants.

It's like heat transfer coefficient for wall but the variable is C.
Thank you so much

I have a similar problem, I want to set a BC on a complex 3D wall for my additional variable that looks like:
V*C-D*dC/dn = k*C,
where V, D and k are constants and C is my additional variable. The problem is how to calculate the dC/dn as it is the gradient in the normal direction from the wall. Any suggestions?

ghorrocks January 13, 2011 17:53

Will the CEL variables normal, with extensions like _Coordinate_Direction help you? See the CFX reference guide, "Quantitative CEL functions in CFX"

Lance January 14, 2011 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghorrocks (Post 290335)
Will the CEL variables normal, with extensions like _Coordinate_Direction help you? See the CFX reference guide, "Quantitative CEL functions in CFX"

Yes, maybe. In POST I calculated the gradient of my AV in the Variables tab, so that I got AV.Gradient X, AV.Gradient y, and AV.Gradient Z. Then I made an expression: AV.Gradient X*Normal X+ AV.Gradient Y*Normal Y+AV.Gradient Z*Normal Z. Is this be the same as Av.Gradient Normal?
And can I define AV.Gradient X (...etc) in PRE as well?

And btw, how do I define the boundary condition at the wall? The units resolve to [kg/(s m^2)]. Transfer coefficient+additional variable or Flux in?