CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > CFX

ANSYS CFX with Remeshing in ICEM CFD

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By adeban
  • 1 Post By weare138

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   September 17, 2010, 05:32
Default ANSYS CFX with Remeshing in ICEM CFD
  #1
New Member
 
Klas Johansson
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 9
adeban is on a distinguished road
Dear colleagues,

I made a simple example of how to set up ANSYS CFX with live Re-meshing in ICEM CFD. I thought it might be useful for the users out there that are interested in working with large deformations in an ANSYS CFX. This can be used in combination with the Rigid Body solver in ANSYS CFX to allow for rigid body motion.

http://www.edr.no/blogg/ansys_blogge...cfx_re_meshing



Klas Johansson, Ph.D.
Technical Consultant

EDR | Engineering Data Resources AB |
+46 31 759 5035 (tel) | +46 (0)708 87 92 72 (mobile)
mailto:klas.johansson@edr.se

EDR blog http://www.edr.se/blogg

Newsletter http://www.edr.se/nyhetsbrev
JNicolle, monkey1, ajay_ks and 4 others like this.
adeban is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 17, 2010, 05:50
Default
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Glenn Horrocks
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 12,094
Rep Power: 94
ghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the roughghorrocks is a jewel in the rough
You have an impressive collection of tutorials on your ANSYS blog - well done! Thanks for sharing it.

http://www.edr.no/blogg/ansys_bloggen

The one on displaying wind turbine modelling data on Google maps looks very nice.
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 18, 2010, 20:52
Default @ adeban
  #3
Senior Member
 
Ugly Kid Joe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 193
Rep Power: 7
vmlxb6 is on a distinguished road
I am trying to re-mesh and I get the following error. Can you help me out with this please:



CFX Solver Results generated before remeshing have been written to: C:\Documents and Settings\vmlxb6\Desktop\16th Oct 2010\case 2_ trial\Unnamed_007\1_oldmesh.res


Text output generated during remeshing has been written to: C:\Documents and Settings\vmlxb6\Desktop\16th Oct 2010\case 2_ trial\Unnamed_007\1_remesh.out


An error has occurred in cfx5solve:


Unable to retrieve 1_remesh.out from working directory: Cannot move to C:\Documents and Settings\vmlxb6\Desktop\16th Oct 2010\case 2_ trial\Unnamed_007\1_remesh.out: Permission denied.




Thanks.
vmlxb6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 19, 2010, 03:24
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Klas Johansson
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 9
adeban is on a distinguished road
Hello,

What output do you have from the remesh process? Does it generate a new mesh? THe ICEM process should generate an output.

Another thing that can cause problems is the fact that you are running in a directory with a lot of spaces in the name. CFX is and have always been sensitive to that.

/Klas
adeban is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 19, 2010, 04:39
Default
  #5
Member
 
Pratik Mehta
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 9
pratikmehta is on a distinguished road
Hi,

This is the same way how the Piston grid works using CFX12 & ICEM. I have been using it now for inline Cylinder flow analysis . I really like your explanation Johannes

Thanks for sharing such an extensive example

Best Regards
Pratik
pratikmehta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 8, 2012, 01:24
Default error while remeshing with icem and cfx
  #6
New Member
 
ajay
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 6
ajay_ks is on a distinguished road
Hi
i am trying to move an object inside water in a closed channel and making use of remeshing using icem and cfx combination, but am getting the following errors (well i am able to do remeshing using icem and cfx for one time only but when remeshing is required in simulation for next time it fails and gives the following errors) :
An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error reported by IO module: iif_open: the file is not in CFX-5.x |
| format |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error reported by IO module: iocnt: open the primary file failed |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error from IO module while opening E:\moving plate\moving |
| plate_001.dir\moving plate.uns.bak: |
| |
| "iocnt: open the primary file failed" |
| |
| IO_BAD_FILE(20): Invalid def/res file. File could be corrupted. |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| WriteToFile failed - dataset write filed



Thanks in advance...
ajay_ks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 26, 2012, 05:27
Default Better Remesh Tutorial needed
  #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Dr-Nukem is on a distinguished road
Hi

I am trying to learn the art of remeshing myself atm. Problem is the EDR.no tutorials are incomplete and unless you already have vast knowledge in Ansys you cannot do them. I would like to ask if someone knows a better tutorial or if you have a file I can open and look at?

Btw the error I am currently experincing is :

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| |
| Remeshing |
| |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


Remesh Object: Remesh 1
Activated by condition: Interrupt Condition 1

Executing remesh command:
/software/ansys/v140/icemcfd/linux64_amd/bin/icemcfd -batch
-script
/software/ansys/v140/CFX/etc/Remeshing/icemcfd_Remesh.rpl

CFX Solver Results generated before remeshing have been written to:
/home/arrabiye/Ansys/MMesh3/Results/NMMesh_04_014/6_oldmesh.res

Text output generated during remeshing has been written to:
/home/arrabiye/Ansys/MMesh3/Results/NMMesh_04_014/6_remesh.out





+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| ANSYS CFX Solver Input File does not exist |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The following user files have been saved in the directory |
| /home/arrabiye/Ansys/MMesh3/Results/NMMesh_04_014: |
| |
| cfx5mondata.out, cfxpre_engine_error.log, 6_remesh.out, |
| 6_oldmesh.res |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


This run of the ANSYS CFX Solver has finished.
Dr-Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 6, 2013, 04:55
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
menshiluobei is on a distinguished road
Hello, have you solved the error? I also met the problem and can't solve it. Would you like to give me some help?Thanks!
menshiluobei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 21, 2014, 12:23
Default
  #9
Senior Member
 
ali
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 173
Rep Power: 8
alinik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by menshiluobei View Post
Hello, have you solved the error? I also met the problem and can't solve it. Would you like to give me some help?Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Nukem View Post
Hi

I am trying to learn the art of remeshing myself atm. Problem is the EDR.no tutorials are incomplete and unless you already have vast knowledge in Ansys you cannot do them. I would like to ask if someone knows a better tutorial or if you have a file I can open and look at?

Btw the error I am currently experincing is :

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| |
| Remeshing |
| |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


Remesh Object: Remesh 1
Activated by condition: Interrupt Condition 1

Executing remesh command:
/software/ansys/v140/icemcfd/linux64_amd/bin/icemcfd -batch
-script
/software/ansys/v140/CFX/etc/Remeshing/icemcfd_Remesh.rpl

CFX Solver Results generated before remeshing have been written to:
/home/arrabiye/Ansys/MMesh3/Results/NMMesh_04_014/6_oldmesh.res

Text output generated during remeshing has been written to:
/home/arrabiye/Ansys/MMesh3/Results/NMMesh_04_014/6_remesh.out





+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| ANSYS CFX Solver Input File does not exist |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The following user files have been saved in the directory |
| /home/arrabiye/Ansys/MMesh3/Results/NMMesh_04_014: |
| |
| cfx5mondata.out, cfxpre_engine_error.log, 6_remesh.out, |
| 6_oldmesh.res |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


This run of the ANSYS CFX Solver has finished.

Hi

any luck solving this last problem?
ANSYS CFX Solver Input File does not exist??
alinik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 23, 2014, 04:39
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Gwen Yang
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 3
gwen520 is on a distinguished road
After remesh, my box always returned to the initial position, can you give me some advice?
gwen520 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 19, 2015, 12:52
Default
  #11
New Member
 
aliali
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 4
ghoroobeaakhar is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. how can I do for the problem?
ghoroobeaakhar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2015, 09:38
Default IO module error
  #12
New Member
 
Daniel Harrison
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
DanHarrison is on a distinguished road
Hi ajay_ks

Did you manage to solve this problem? I am having the same issue, any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Dan



"Hi
i am trying to move an object inside water in a closed channel and making use of remeshing using icem and cfx combination, but am getting the following errors (well i am able to do remeshing using icem and cfx for one time only but when remeshing is required in simulation for next time it fails and gives the following errors) :
An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error reported by IO module: iif_open: the file is not in CFX-5.x |
| format |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error reported by IO module: iocnt: open the primary file failed |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error from IO module while opening E:\moving plate\moving |
| plate_001.dir\moving plate.uns.bak: |
| |
| "iocnt: open the primary file failed" |
| |
| IO_BAD_FILE(20): Invalid def/res file. File could be corrupted. |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| WriteToFile failed - dataset write filed



Thanks in advance... "
DanHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 10, 2015, 14:09
Default
  #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
weare138 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen520 View Post
After remesh, my box always returned to the initial position, can you give me some advice?
Try to generate mesh in meters. By default the displacement is transferred in meters.
weare138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 10, 2015, 14:32
Default
  #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
weare138 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHarrison View Post
Hi ajay_ks

Did you manage to solve this problem? I am having the same issue, any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Dan



"Hi
i am trying to move an object inside water in a closed channel and making use of remeshing using icem and cfx combination, but am getting the following errors (well i am able to do remeshing using icem and cfx for one time only but when remeshing is required in simulation for next time it fails and gives the following errors) :
An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error reported by IO module: iif_open: the file is not in CFX-5.x |
| format |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error reported by IO module: iocnt: open the primary file failed |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| Error from IO module while opening E:\moving plate\moving |
| plate_001.dir\moving plate.uns.bak: |
| |
| "iocnt: open the primary file failed" |
| |
| IO_BAD_FILE(20): Invalid def/res file. File could be corrupted. |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+


+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| An error has occurred in cfx5solve: |
| |
| WriteToFile failed - dataset write filed



Thanks in advance... "
You just have to remove from your icem replay file (*.rpl) string which contains "rename ***.uns to ***.uns.bak" (not exactly but something like that). Also you need to delete the file "***.uns.bak" in the icem project directory. Otherwise solver will use this file to restart the solution and you will get the problem discussed above.
shivasluzz likes this.
weare138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learn ANSYS ICEM CFD easy_astronaut ANSYS 2 December 15, 2013 16:34
ansys ICEM CFD 11.0 tutorial needed Jiuan CFX 13 March 15, 2012 05:44
Opening ICEM CFD directly from ANSYS matheusguzella ANSYS Meshing & Geometry 6 February 22, 2010 12:27
ICEM CFD 2D meshing guide for CFX (1cell height) Korsh Mik CFX 1 October 27, 2005 22:45
ANSYS to acquire CFX Fred CD-adapco 0 February 18, 2003 22:03


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09.