Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fek66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   March 6, 2011, 05:16
Default Outflow condition CfX-Fluent

anonymous
fek66 is on a distinguished road
Hi All ;
till now no response about the equivalent of outflow condition to setup a BC in CFX Pre witch means ( a zero first derivative of all variables flow ). this conditition is used in fluent.

this is the post of a CFD user .

I'm moving from Fluent to CFX. There is this boundary condition in Fluent named outfow where the solver sets the normal derivative of flow variables to zero for that boundary edge. How is it possible to use this boundary condition in CFX. As far as I've understood there is only INLET, OUTLET, OPENING, WALL and SYMMETRY boundary conditions in CFX. Any help is really appreciated.

many thanks.
rgd likes this.
fek66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 6, 2011, 17:14
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
ghorrocks has a spectacular aura aboutghorrocks has a spectacular aura aboutghorrocks has a spectacular aura about
Incompressible or compressible flow? If compressible, sub-sonic or supersonic?
ghorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 7, 2011, 04:57

anonymous
incompressible and sub-sonic flow.

Old   March 7, 2011, 18:57
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
ghorrocks has a spectacular aura aboutghorrocks has a spectacular aura aboutghorrocks has a spectacular aura about
The outlet in CFX is similar. It can be set up to use zero gradient on all parameters except pressure which needs to be defined.

Old   March 8, 2011, 06:02

anonymous
how can I set up CFX outlet to use a zero gradient on all parameters ?
more details please.

Old   March 8, 2011, 17:01
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
That is a symmetry plane.

You have to define at least one parameter at an outlet.

Old   June 10, 2011, 16:05

Joseph Tipton
jtipton2 is on a distinguished road
Dr. Horrocks,

I'm a little confused by your statement here regarding a symmetry plane BC in CFX. I don't see how it could be used as an outlet BC since it requires zero normal velocity at the symmetry plane in addition to zero normal gradients of all variables.

It is my understanding that, in Fluent, you can specify a "outflow" boundary condition which specifies a zero diffusion flux for all flow variables along with an overall mass balance correction. From the Fluent User's Guide, Section 7.3.2:
Quote:
Outflow boundary conditions are used to model flow exits where the details of the flow velocity and pressure are not known prior to solution of the flow problem. They are appropriate where the exit flow is close to a fully developed condition, as the outflow boundary condition assumes a zero streamwise gradient for all flow variables except pressure. They are not appropriate for compressible flow calculations.
The CFX documentation I have read does not seem to address how this could be implimented. Do you have any insight that you could share?
jtipton2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 10, 2011, 16:21

Joseph Tipton
jtipton2 is on a distinguished road
I'll add that this question also relates to a previous topic:

Outflow B.C. and CFX

This issue is that, when modeling pipe flow, I often don't know the pressure. How is it possible to specify a velocity or mass flow rate at the inlet along with zero gradients in all variables at the outlet?
jtipton2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 11, 2011, 07:40
Super Moderator

Glenn Horrocks
Quote:
I'm a little confused by your statement here regarding a symmetry plane BC in CFX. I don't see how it could be used as an outlet BC since it requires zero normal velocity at the symmetry plane in addition to zero normal gradients of all variables.
The comment was "zero gradient on all parameters". That is a symmetry plane, but I guess the symmetry plane has the additional constraint of no flow normal to it. I guess a bit cheeky of me to change the subject like that but the question was not very specific.

Quote:
This issue is that, when modeling pipe flow, I often don't know the pressure. How is it possible to specify a velocity or mass flow rate at the inlet along with zero gradients in all variables at the outlet?
No, you need to specify pressure at the outlet in your case. But for incompressible flows the pressure is relative anyway, so the outlet just becomes a reference pressure. You obviously need to be more careful in compressible flows.