CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   CFX (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/)
-   -   continuing to solution (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/cfx/89943-continuing-solution.html)

zyntbz June 27, 2011 03:32

continuing to solution
 
Hello everybody,
I've been working with Ansys-CFX about a transient heat transfer problem. I start to solve a problem and it takes at least 5 or more days (sometimes a month). If there's any trouble in computer system or the electircity (when computer shuts down or something..) I cannot get the result file and I have to start to the solution over! And it's just the waste of time! When I look at the working folder, there are trn. files. Can I use these trn files and continue to the solution from the time last trn file being created.

Lance June 27, 2011 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyntbz (Post 313681)
Hello everybody,
Can I use these trn files and continue to the solution from the time last trn file being created.

Yes, trn files are the results files from a transient solution and you can normally restart a solution from them.

zyntbz June 27, 2011 06:15

the procedure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 313689)
Yes, trn files are the results files from a transient solution and you can normally restart a solution from them.

Thank you for reply. Do you know how to continue to solution from the created trn files? I mean which procedure I should follow?

Lance June 27, 2011 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyntbz (Post 313703)
Thank you for reply. Do you know how to continue to solution from the created trn files? I mean which procedure I should follow?

This is discussed in the manual, but here goes:

In the solver manager:
Initial values specification/File Name: "your last .trn file"
Continue history from: initial values

or, using the command line
cfx5solve -def $deffile -continue-from-file $inifile
where $deffile and $inifile is defined as your definition file and trn file, respectively.

zyntbz June 27, 2011 08:06

doesn't work
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 313705)
This is discussed in the manual, but here goes:

In the solver manager:
Initial values specification/File Name: "your last .trn file"
Continue history from: initial values

or, using the command line
cfx5solve -def $deffile -continue-from-file $inifile
where $deffile and $inifile is defined as your definition file and trn file, respectively.

Thank you for your reply,
I can't use these steps. I already tried this way, but the computer didn't restart normally.. It gives following error message and doesn't start to solve;

''the simulation terminated with errors. run concluded at Mon 27. No results are available!''

So I've been solving the problems which takes long time (1 month or more) by seperating the time. For example if I have 120 seconds run, I solve the problem with 10 sec parts.

But I couldn't get a solution any further than that! If you have any suggestion, I'd be happy?

Lance June 27, 2011 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyntbz (Post 313715)
It gives following error message and doesn't start to solve;

''the simulation terminated with errors. run concluded at Mon 27. No results are available!''

This error message is useless, it doesnt tell us anything about what went wrong. Post the error message in the output from the solver instead (look in a file called "something"_001.out).

zyntbz June 28, 2011 07:06

the file
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 313716)
This error message is useless, it doesnt tell us anything about what went wrong. Post the error message in the output from the solver instead (look in a file called "something"_001.out).

I tried to use .trn files insted of result file. it didn't work.We get this error text. Here's the error message:
Attachment 8201

Lance June 28, 2011 07:14

Thats all? Error creating namemap: G/BCS missing ?

Two things:
When you are saving the .trn files, do you only save a few selected variables or "standard". If you only save, say, temperature and HTC then the trn file does not contain enough data for a restart and it will fail. Could this be the issue?

Also, avoid spaces in folder and file names.

zyntbz June 28, 2011 09:50

save backup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 313870)
Thats all? Error creating namemap: G/BCS missing ?

Two things:
When you are saving the .trn files, do you only save a few selected variables or "standard". If you only save, say, temperature and HTC then the trn file does not contain enough data for a restart and it will fail. Could this be the issue?

Also, avoid spaces in folder and file names.

Yes I only select a few variables such as Temp, velocity, vorticity.
But I guess there's another way. I use the 'save backup file' option while the simulation's running. Therefore I can use this backup file as a result file, and continue to the solution from the intermediate time. But choosing all the variables may help.

I'll write if it works.Thank you.

zyntbz June 28, 2011 10:53

it works!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyntbz (Post 313898)
Yes I only select a few variables such as Temp, velocity, vorticity.
But I guess there's another way. I use the 'save backup file' option while the simulation's running. Therefore I can use this backup file as a result file, and continue to the solution from the intermediate time. But choosing all the variables may help.

I'll write if it works.Thank you.

choosing the standard option solved the error problem. I can use the trn files by choosing standard results in the output controls.

Thank you.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05.