CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   CFX (
-   -   Particle Track in CFX (

Jmac July 24, 2011 19:14

Particle Track in CFX
Hi, I am currently involved in performing a CFD simulation of the hot/cold water mixing in a venturi shower mixer for unequal hot/cold inlet pressures. I am wishing to get a particle track of the hot and cold flows performing the mixing action, however, I am relatively new to CFD modelling and havent got the slightest idea how to do it. I have referenced ANSYS help and found many pages on particle tracking, but not a single page on the basics and how to get started. Could anyone please direct me to a tutorial or a help page where I could learn how to perform a particle track? Any help would be appreciated.
- Running ANSYS 13 & Windows 7 64b

Andrew.Coughtrie July 25, 2011 06:49

Ansys help files have tutorials for particle tracking CFX tutorial 11 the butterfly valve.

ghorrocks July 25, 2011 08:10

If you want to see what the hot and cold water mixes and what the resulting temperature is I recommend you visualise the temperature field. Alternately you can "tag" one fluid with an additional variable and let it convect around with the flow, so even when the temperature has evened out this approach will show you where the water came from.

So I do not think particle tracking is a useful way of visualising this flow. My two suggestions are much simpler and easier solutions which will give better results.

Jmac July 26, 2011 16:34

Thanks for your help guys. Ghorrocks how would I go about 'tagging' a fluid with an additional variable?

ghorrocks July 26, 2011 18:48

Look in the documentation and tutorials for additional variables.

yahya_a July 14, 2012 02:39

is there any help about Particle Track for centrifugal compressor ?!

yahya_a July 14, 2012 04:02

i saw the example in cfx for butterfly vale
the problem is that in my case i do not have default domain

yahya_a August 2, 2012 05:46

up ...............

yahya_a August 5, 2012 10:16

how can i solve this error ?

The object "HEAT TRANSFER MODEL" is present in the object "/FLOW:Flow Analysis 1/DOMAIN:R31/FLUID MODELS/FLUID:m" but it is not physically valid.

MAP7 July 10, 2014 07:42

Tagging one fluid using additional variable

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 317603)
Thanks for your help guys. Ghorrocks how would I go about 'tagging' a fluid with an additional variable?

Hi James,

I wonder if you finally found a way to do that? How did you define your additional variable?