CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > CFX

Simulation of an Axial Impeller

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   October 14, 2011, 13:57
Default Simulation of an Axial Impeller
  #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
cnchilavert is on a distinguished road
Hello, everyone,

I have to simulate an axial impeller in a complex geometry. Both inlet and outlet sections are not axis-symmetric. My question is whether it is possible to take only one or two channels of the impeller with periodic BC on the double sides and take the whole inlet and outlet sections.

If possible, how does CFX assign the mass flow to the impeller section? For example, the mass flow rate is 80kg/s, and 1/10 impeller is taken. Can it be ensured that 8kg/s of water flows through the impeller section?

Why I proposed the above idea is the number of the mesh elements for the whole impeller is really too many. Does anybody have such an experience?
cnchilavert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 15, 2011, 02:01
Arrow
  #2
Far
Super Moderator
 
Far's Avatar
 
Sijal Ahmed Memon (turboenginner@gmail.com)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 3,971
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 39
Far will become famous soon enoughFar will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
If possible, how does CFX assign the mass flow to the impeller section? For example, the mass flow rate is 80kg/s, and 1/10 impeller is taken. Can it be ensured that 8kg/s of water flows through the impeller section?
Dont worry, CFX or any other cfd code shall ensure it automatically if geometry and boundary conditions are specified correctly

Quote:
I have to simulate an axial impeller in a complex geometry. Both inlet and outlet sections are not axis-symmetric. My question is whether it is possible to take only one or two channels of the impeller with periodic BC on the double sides and take the whole inlet and outlet sections.
I guess you have to take the complete 360 axial impeller. But it would be much better if you past the pic of geometry with some details here, so that we can advise you.

Quote:
Why I proposed the above idea is the number of the mesh elements for the whole impeller is really too many. Does anybody have such an experience?
Please describe your problem completely. We cannot guess how many blades are there, how many number of nodes you have. But if periodic BCs are ot applicable then you have to model it completely whether you like it or not
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with axial alignment in Turbomachinery zhaowei CFX 12 May 4, 2010 05:14
Replacing mesh while running a simulation akultane CFX 1 November 15, 2009 14:46
Axial flow turbine simulation dia CFX 1 November 20, 2008 12:03
Sample simulation of axial flow impeller in a duct Vashishth CFX 1 November 16, 2008 20:34
TASCflow - Impeller Simulation Centaur_ks CFX 2 May 27, 2003 12:02


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:57.