CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Edge

segamentation fault

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   November 7, 2011, 00:12
Default segamentation fault
  #1
New Member
 
Alvin
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 5
airsupply is on a distinguished road
For preprocessor command, it displays:

[air@localhost wb2]$ preprocessor wb.ainp
********** DUAL STARTS **********
Input file (.ainp) ?
wb.ainp

Reading file: "wb.ainp"
done.
Reading file: "wb.aboc"
done.
Reading file: "wb.bmsh"
done.
Title: Grid converted from CGNS
No. of dimensions: 3
No. of nodes: 4454406
No. of regions: 1
No. of boundaries: 5

Checking for duplicate nodes
/home/air/x86_64/bin/preprocessor: line 59: 7667 segamentation fault (core dumped) $DIR/dual${POSTFIX}.x <<EOD
'$1'
EOD

I usually type 'ulimit -s unlimited' before the preprocessor, and the error won't happen. Unfortunately, I am now dealing with a mesh with more then 15 million nodes, and even the 'ulimit -s unlimited' doesn't work either. I am confused, can sombody help me?

Best Regards
Alvin
airsupply is offline  

Old   December 20, 2011, 01:55
Default
  #2
New Member
 
sunti
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 4
sunti is on a distinguished road
if you are using ubuntu/bash try the following command before you run the pre-processor and it should work

ulimit -s unlimited

if you are using another shell/distribution the command might be slightly different

but if you are using that many cells make sure that the computer has enough RAM
sunti is offline  

Old   December 21, 2011, 08:15
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Alvin
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 5
airsupply is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunti View Post
if you are using ubuntu/bash try the following command before you run the pre-processor and it should work

ulimit -s unlimited

if you are using another shell/distribution the command might be slightly different

but if you are using that many cells make sure that the computer has enough RAM
Yes, the OS is Fedora 13 with a bash shell. I am pretty sure the RAM is enough--when the serial preprocessor goes to agglom.x routine the error occurs, but the RAM(16GB) consumed is less than 50% monitored by "top" command. I don't know if the segamentation fault is caused by the bug of preprocessor. Another possibility is that the error may comes from the grid which is generated by ICEM and outputed to CGNS-FLUENT formant, and then converted to FFA format.
airsupply is offline  

Old   December 29, 2011, 03:28
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Filip Wallberg
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 5
filipwa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by airsupply View Post
Yes, the OS is Fedora 13 with a bash shell. I am pretty sure the RAM is enough--when the serial preprocessor goes to agglom.x routine the error occurs, but the RAM(16GB) consumed is less than 50% monitored by "top" command. I don't know if the segamentation fault is caused by the bug of preprocessor. Another possibility is that the error may comes from the grid which is generated by ICEM and outputed to CGNS-FLUENT formant, and then converted to FFA format.
How did you manage to export the grid in CGNS format from ICEM? I have tried all possible combinations of exporting from ICEM and then converting to FFA without any success...

The only way that works for me is if I export it to Fluent's format first and then in Fluent export it as CGNS...
filipwa is offline  

Old   January 12, 2012, 03:10
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Alvin
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 5
airsupply is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipwa View Post
How did you manage to export the grid in CGNS format from ICEM? I have tried all possible combinations of exporting from ICEM and then converting to FFA without any success...

The only way that works for me is if I export it to Fluent's format first and then in Fluent export it as CGNS...
Yes, I used to do exactly the same as yours.
airsupply is offline  

Old   January 14, 2012, 08:42
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Bastian Nebenfuehr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sverige
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 6
basneb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipwa View Post
How did you manage to export the grid in CGNS format from ICEM? I have tried all possible combinations of exporting from ICEM and then converting to FFA without any success...

The only way that works for me is if I export it to Fluent's format first and then in Fluent export it as CGNS...
For me it works directly like this:

>> cgns2ffa -g [grid.cgns] [grid.bmsh]

I don't know, but maybe it depends on the settings you have when exporting from ICEM to cgns.
basneb is offline  

Old   January 15, 2012, 10:16
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Filip Wallberg
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 5
filipwa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basneb View Post
For me it works directly like this:

>> cgns2ffa -g [grid.cgns] [grid.bmsh]

I don't know, but maybe it depends on the settings you have when exporting from ICEM to cgns.
Which version of ICEM are you using? Can you tell me what settings and cgns version you are exporting to? I have tried all combinations i can think of without any success at all...
filipwa is offline  

Old   January 17, 2012, 05:32
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Bastian Nebenfuehr
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sverige
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 6
basneb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipwa View Post
Which version of ICEM are you using? Can you tell me what settings and cgns version you are exporting to? I have tried all combinations i can think of without any success at all...
Well, it has been a while, since I did that, but here is what I remember:

- Input grid: unstruct
- Create default BC patches: no
- entities for BC: face elements
- create bar/node elements: yes
- cgns version: 2.2

if this is not working for you, what would be the error message you receive from edge?

btw: my ICEM version is 13.0

Last edited by basneb; January 17, 2012 at 05:33. Reason: added Icem version
basneb is offline  

Old   February 24, 2012, 14:09
Default
  #9
jka
New Member
 
Adam Jirasek
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 5
jka is on a distinguished road
I use (off the top of my head, do not have Icem on my screen)

- Input grid: unstruct
- Create default BC patches: yes
- entities for BC: face elements
- create bar/node elements: no
- cgns version: 2.4
I use ICEM version is 13.0

Let me know if it worked, if not I can make a snapshot of the Icem export screen and upload it
jka is offline  

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Segmentation Fault Shawn_A OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 6 October 31, 2011 15:38
Segmentation fault when running dieselFoam or dieselEngineFoam in parallel francesco OpenFOAM Bugs 3 June 10, 2011 09:30
Debugging a segmentation fault? hansel OpenFOAM Bugs 3 July 31, 2010 13:13
ParaView segmentation fault only for multiphase gwierink OpenFOAM 9 March 25, 2010 08:23
KIVA and Segmentation Fault Felix Main CFD Forum 2 January 18, 2006 01:24


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28.