CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FloEFD, FloWorks & FloTHERM

Surface dissapears after moving!

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 17, 2012, 14:00
Default Surface dissapears after moving!

george85 is on a distinguished road
I am experience a strange thing - the surface that I am moving with the "Move Face" command, suddenly dissapears in some parts of the drawing.
Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJJ_q...ature=youtu.be

What seems to be the problem?
Why can`t I move my surface to any point on the working plane?

Here is the .sldprt file:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21187568/osnova2b.SLDPRT

Thank you for the help.
george85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 18, 2012, 09:01

Boris Marovic
Boris_M is on a distinguished road
I believ that's a limitation of SolidWorks. If you use the function "Move/Copy..." you experience something similar. The face will not move over a certain value. Here you get a message that the value your move the object should be smaller/equal or larger/equal than a certain limit (depending if negative or positive value) and the surface stops moving even if you interactively move the mouse even further.
This value seems to be different in the two functions, I don't know why, but I assume this is the same reason your surface vanishes. It's certainly not nice to do that without any warning but this is SolidWorks, not FloEFD.
I believe for SolidWorks there is a size limit for geometry and this might be true to other systems too. I just checked and when switching to meter instead of inch and moving it as far as I can before it vanishes to both sides and adding the limits I reached plus the width of the model, then I reach ~1km. So that seems to be a nice definition of a limit.
I don't know if there is any way of changing it. Try to ask this question in a SolidWorks forum, maybe someone can help you there with some more knowledge of SolidWorks.

Regards,
Boris
Boris_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 18, 2012, 09:13

Boris Marovic
Yup, just checked with a colleague who knows SW a little better than I do and in SW 1km is the dimension limit which you seemed to have reached. This limit is from origin 500m in each direction.

Boris

Old   January 18, 2012, 09:31

george85 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the reply Boris.
The solution has to be the one you just said: a limit in length. Due to the fact that I am making a plaza, with a couple of hundreds of square meters, maybe the location is too big in order for Solidworks to handle it.

Maybe I can change units from meters to centimeters, but then the model would not be so precise.
How can I do this? Change the units from meters to centimeters?

I already asked the same question at the official SolidWorks forums, and they could not help me. They said, that I need to contact the local Solidworks support/dealer
george85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 18, 2012, 09:53

Boris Marovic
To change the models units you have to go into the "options" under "tools" in menu and if you go then into the second tab "document properties" you'll find a point units. But for general scaling it down you would have to calculate the scaling factor or just simply take 1:10 or something like that and use the feature "scale..." in the menu under "insert" then in "features" you'll find it.
Then select the bodies and surfaces in your part. You can select them in the two folders at the beginning of your part tree and use the scaling factor you decided to use and you can use the "Scale about:" as origin so everything is brought down around the origin as you have it already and "oops I shrinked my city" :-)

The only thing you have to take into account now is to use the dimensionless coefficients such as Reynolds number etc. to get corresponding results as not only your model should shrink but also the flow parameters such as velocity.

Boris

Old   January 24, 2012, 22:43

M_Jin/Kim
kimmj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by george85 View Post
Thank you for the reply Boris.
The solution has to be the one you just said: a limit in length. Due to the fact that I am making a plaza, with a couple of hundreds of square meters, maybe the location is too big in order for Solidworks to handle it.

Maybe I can change units from meters to centimeters, but then the model would not be so precise.
How can I do this? Change the units from meters to centimeters?

I already asked the same question at the official SolidWorks forums, and they could not help me. They said, that I need to contact the local Solidworks support/dealer

Hi,,
Maybe, changing unit does not work correctly.
- Just unit is change, the real value still have problem-
You can extend model limit using assembel.. about ~5Km, depend on your model..
kimmj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 25, 2012, 03:53

Boris Marovic
No, of course the unit change alone does not change the limit.
For assemblies it can be that the limit is per single part and the assembly doesn't care about that or has a higher limit then. Haven't tried it.