CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FLOW-3D

Vortex-induced Vibration (VIV)

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   May 29, 2012, 19:41
Question Vortex-induced Vibration (VIV)
  #1
New Member
 
ariza
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
ariza is on a distinguished road
hai guys.
I was a student last semester. I am currently working on final project with the topic of large-diameter cylinder viv in force due to currents and wave forces. I'm using a flow-3d for the simulation of vortex shedding. but until now I can not how.

whether there are any of you guys can help me? provide solutions or suggestions how?

thanks for the help.
ariza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 6, 2012, 01:16
Default
  #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: green earth, blue ocean
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 8
hans_ina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariza View Post
hai guys.
I was a student last semester. I am currently working on final project with the topic of large-diameter cylinder viv in force due to currents and wave forces. I'm using a flow-3d for the simulation of vortex shedding. but until now I can not how.

whether there are any of you guys can help me? provide solutions or suggestions how?

thanks for the help.
Hi Ariza,

what you mean of VIV is vibration due current around cylinder?
can you specified your question about? its your problem on modelling or meshing or else? please specified.

Thanks,
Hans
hans_ina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 6, 2012, 20:11
Default
  #3
New Member
 
ariza
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
ariza is on a distinguished road
In my Case,
VIV occurs because the combination of currents and waves.
then, how steps to make simulation with Flow3D?
such as modelling, input, solution, output...

thx for your attention...
ariza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 6, 2012, 21:23
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: green earth, blue ocean
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 8
hans_ina is on a distinguished road
For modeling, you can input the parameter (read manual handbook) then fill the BC with inlet and outlet as outflow.

Put the parameter and fill current and wave value (note: use free surface for input wave value)

hope this helpfull for your thesis.
hans_ina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 6, 2012, 22:46
Default
  #5
New Member
 
ariza
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
ariza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_ina View Post
For modeling, you can input the parameter (read manual handbook) then fill the BC with inlet and outlet as outflow.

Put the parameter and fill current and wave value (note: use free surface for input wave value)

hope this helpfull for your thesis.
thx a lot..
now i've finished my final exam..
23 september is my graduation..
ariza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 24, 2012, 10:41
Default
  #6
New Member
 
hossein
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
hossein2357 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_ina View Post
For modeling, you can input the parameter (read manual handbook) then fill the BC with inlet and outlet as outflow.

Put the parameter and fill current and wave value (note: use free surface for input wave value)

hope this helpfull for your thesis.
******
hi, i dont underestand"read manual handbook"
which handbook?
hossein2357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 24, 2012, 11:28
Default
  #7
New Member
 
hossein
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
hossein2357 is on a distinguished road
i simulated cylindric in sea. but i dont know, how i can obtain "vortex" .


'vortex induce vibrating'
hossein2357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 24, 2012, 21:32
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: green earth, blue ocean
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 8
hans_ina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossein2357 View Post
******
hi, i dont underestand"read manual handbook"
which handbook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossein2357 View Post
i simulated cylindric in sea. but i dont know, how i can obtain "vortex" .


'vortex induce vibrating'
Hi,

You can find it on help menu guy.
hans_ina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 31, 2013, 00:11
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: adelaide, SA, Australia
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 8
mali is on a distinguished road
Hi All,

I think for simulating vortex induced vibration of a bluff body (exm: circular) can be done using the similar case of wingMotion in the tutorial. I had simulated a circular cylinder using pimpleDyMFoam, and it worked for small reduced velocity u* < 1, but it blowed up at higher reduced velocity. I suspected this happened because the system was in resonance, so the vibration was very high in amplitude, where I can saw the mesh changed badly at that time.

If you have suggestion on how I can simulate the VIV problem for high reduced velocity, please let me know.

Cheers
-mali-
__________________
mali
mali is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 31, 2013, 06:29
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: green earth, blue ocean
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 8
hans_ina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mali View Post
Hi All,

I think for simulating vortex induced vibration of a bluff body (exm: circular) can be done using the similar case of wingMotion in the tutorial. I had simulated a circular cylinder using pimpleDyMFoam, and it worked for small reduced velocity u* < 1, but it blowed up at higher reduced velocity. I suspected this happened because the system was in resonance, so the vibration was very high in amplitude, where I can saw the mesh changed badly at that time.

If you have suggestion on how I can simulate the VIV problem for high reduced velocity, please let me know.

Cheers
-mali-
what case you study?
hans_ina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 1, 2013, 00:25
Default
  #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: adelaide, SA, Australia
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 8
mali is on a distinguished road
Hi hans_ina,

Thanks for your replay.

I used 2D rigid circular cylinder attached with a vertical spring. Re based on diameter of the cylinder was in the range of 3000 to 22000, depending on the value of reduced velocity. For the elastic system, the mass ratio was 2.4 and the damping ratio is 0.0054 , similar to the case of Khalak and Williamson [1996].

Cheers,
__________________
mali
mali is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 5, 2013, 08:42
Default damper
  #12
New Member
 
hossein
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
hossein2357 is on a distinguished road
Hi friend
do you know, how can add damper for Cylinder in viv research or other work.
we want simulate moving object with damper, but we dont know how we can add damper to object.
hossein2357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 8, 2013, 09:58
Default 3D mesh
  #13
New Member
 
Mike
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
mikkysaik is on a distinguished road
Hi all. I am trying to model 3D flow around a cylinder using ANSYS fluent. I need info on how to generate a 3D mesh. I tried generating the geometry but got stuck. please I need info on how to go about it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (24.3 KB, 30 views)
mikkysaik is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vortex induced vibration from dynamic mesh natto Main CFD Forum 4 April 18, 2015 19:42
vortex induced vibration Simon Wang FLUENT 3 June 17, 2012 05:22
Vortex Induced Vibration (VIV) modelling Kwong FLUENT 1 December 1, 2009 14:08
Vortex Induced Vibration modelling Kwong FLUENT 0 March 24, 2007 01:41
Vortex Induced vibration of subsea pipeline Mobasheri FLUENT 5 February 9, 2006 08:07


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:12.