CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLOW-3D (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/flow-3d/)
-   -   scour under submarine pipelines exposed to steady flow (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/flow-3d/71450-scour-under-submarine-pipelines-exposed-steady-flow.html)

kjelban January 3, 2010 11:32

scour under submarine pipelines exposed to steady flow
 
i want to build model for this phenomena (scour under submarine pipelines exposed to steady flow) and i choose FLOW-3D software to do that i just start study the software this month but i need some examples about it if anybody can help me specially about the phenomena i will be very grateful.

i want examples which can show me how to use this software.

ignatz January 28, 2010 13:10

Kamal, have you contacted FLOW-3D's developer, Flow Science?

miss miti December 10, 2013 04:03

scour under submarine pipeline
 
Hi
I run my model but it doesnt show any scour, the packed sediment bed respond just like a solid material, do anyone know whats wrong with the simulation? :confused:

ignatz December 10, 2013 11:23

Miss Miti, where are you located? FLOW-3D has support channels all round the world. Go to here to see if there is a a representative in your country: http://www.flow3d.com/sales/sales-ma...-3d-and-mp.asp.

JBurnham December 10, 2013 12:13

Hi, Miss Miti. There are several reasons you might be having insufficient scour. Please try the following:

1) check the mesh resolution: there should be at least 4 cells across all solid components, and ideally there should be at least 10 cells across the most shallow flow depth.

2) check the boundary conditions: are the water free-surface elevations correct? if you are using flow rate or velocity, are they correct?

3) calibrate the sediment Critical Shields Parameter. It is best to do this with a 2-D mesh (only one cell in the 3rd direction, make sure the cell is thin so that the geometry in it is also 2-D). Vary the Critical Shields Parameter until the nearly correct scour formation is observed.

4) also in 2-D, if necessary, turn off scour entirely and get the simulation to run correctly for just water. Then turn scour back on. This is a good way to debug simulations that have problems besides the scour model.

5) check units. All your units should be consistent. If you are in SI units, for example, the sediment density should be in kg/m^e (e.g., 2650), and the sediment diameter should be in m (e.g., 0.001 for 1 mm sand).

6) do the tutorials in the User Manual and on the User Site. Consider attending a training for FLOW-3D. Contact the company that sold you the software to get more info about training, or consider asking them for support.

miss miti December 11, 2013 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignatz (Post 465733)
Miss Miti, where are you located? FLOW-3D has support channels all round the world. Go to here to see if there is a a representative in your country: http://www.flow3d.com/sales/sales-ma...3d-and-mp.asp.

tnx alot But unfortunatly it dosnt support out country (Iran) :confused:

miss miti December 11, 2013 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBurnham (Post 465746)
Hi, Miss Miti. There are several reasons you might be having insufficient scour. Please try the following:

1) check the mesh resolution: there should be at least 4 cells across all solid components, and ideally there should be at least 10 cells across the most shallow flow depth.

2) check the boundary conditions: are the water free-surface elevations correct? if you are using flow rate or velocity, are they correct?

3) calibrate the sediment Critical Shields Parameter. It is best to do this with a 2-D mesh (only one cell in the 3rd direction, make sure the cell is thin so that the geometry in it is also 2-D). Vary the Critical Shields Parameter until the nearly correct scour formation is observed.

4) also in 2-D, if necessary, turn off scour entirely and get the simulation to run correctly for just water. Then turn scour back on. This is a good way to debug simulations that have problems besides the scour model.

5) check units. All your units should be consistent. If you are in SI units, for example, the sediment density should be in kg/m^e (e.g., 2650), and the sediment diameter should be in m (e.g., 0.001 for 1 mm sand).

6) do the tutorials in the User Manual and on the User Site. Consider attending a training for FLOW-3D. Contact the company that sold you the software to get more info about training, or consider asking them for support.

Dear JBurnham
tnx a lot for your time and detailed reply I will check them, which out puts are better for scour? sediment height is ok?

sycst911 February 6, 2014 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjelban (Post 241363)
i want to build model for this phenomena (scour under submarine pipelines exposed to steady flow) and i choose FLOW-3D software to do that i just start study the software this month but i need some examples about it if anybody can help me specially about the phenomena i will be very grateful.

i want examples which can show me how to use this software.

Kjelban,

Do you already know how to simulate pipeline scour? I sent a private email to you, but I do not get any reply from you yet. I seek your advice in this matter. Thanks a lot! ^^


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:35.