CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLOW-3D (
-   -   Micro-porosity (

jk75 April 23, 2010 10:02

Hi All,

I have a solidification simulation with dynamic shrinkage model and microporosity model activated. Shrinkage seems to be ok, but the calculated Microporosity is about 1.E-10. Has someone experience with this combination?

MuxaB May 5, 2010 00:03

what version of FLOW-3D are you running? there was a problem like that, I think, in version 9.3, but has been fixed since then.

jk75 May 6, 2010 06:41

I'm using version 9.4.1, running on linux 64bit.

jk75 May 28, 2010 04:28

We have verfied the microporosity issue now with different setups. It's now clear that the micro- porosity is only calculated correctly (in combination with the solving of the momentum equations) when shrinkage is deactivated. That's not good, because we would need dynamic shrinkage AND micro- porosity...

lenken December 11, 2013 10:00

Hi Johannes,

I am Ken, studying in germany. I am currently writing my bachelor thesis with flow 3D 9.4.1 as well. I am simulating solidification process. But I have some problems with the display. It doesn't show shrinkage on display and the temperature variation is illogical and the pressure variation doesn't change at all.

May I know what settings did you make for this solidification simulation?

I do not know where the problem is and i am using copper as my mould and pure iron as my fluid 1.

Thanks a lot first for ur attention and time.

best regards