CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLOW-3D (
-   -   GUI crash and simulation engine still running (

RPJones November 8, 2010 11:49

GUI crash and simulation engine still running
Hi all,

I have a simulation in which the GUI crashed. The simulation engine is still running and I was wondering if there is a way to load the running simulation into the GUI?

The only way that I have been able to do this in the past is a workaround in which I wait until the simulation saves the next set of restart data, and then force terminate the process through the task manager and start a restart simulation with the most recent data.

Is there a way to load the running simulation, to send runtime changes? Or do I just need to wait until I can do a restart?

MuxaB November 8, 2010 23:11

currently, there is no way to reconnect the GUI to the solver executable, but there is a way to interact with the solver outside the GUI:

open a command window, go to the directory where the simulation is running and type 'peek'. If your path is not set to find this executable, it is located in the $F3D_HOME/local folder.

Once open, it shows a text-driven self-explanatary menu. For example, to terminate the simulation type '2', to force a restart edit - '4' and so on.

RPJones November 9, 2010 09:18

That is exactly what I was hoping to be able to do.