CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Fluent UDF and Scheme Programming (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent-udf/)
-   -   How to get the surface area between two phases in VOF model (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent-udf/104545-how-get-surface-area-between-two-phases-vof-model.html)

Cloud July 12, 2012 00:19

How to get the surface area between two phases in VOF model

Do anyone know if there has a macro to get the surface area between two phases in VOF model. I used Geo-Reconstrust Discretization for VOF.
I found C_VOF_S(c,t) and Get_Surface_Distance(cell_t c, Thread *t) in "sg_vof.h". I wanted to use them to found what did they return. But always fluent return errors:

Error:
FLUENT received fatal signal (ACCESS_VIOLATION)
1. Note exact events leading to error.
2. Save case/data under new name.
3. Exit program and restart to continue.
4. Report error to your distributor.

I tried mixture thread and one phase thread for t in C_VOF_S(c,t) and Get_Surface_Distance(cell_t c, Thread *t),but the errors still exist.

LyngHoo September 10, 2012 03:34

Hi, Cloud,
Have you solve you problem? I need to calculate the interface area in VOF model, and I'm wondering how to implement this. If you've solve this problem, plz help.
Thank you !

Blackhawks84 February 5, 2013 16:16

any luck?

Hi,

I just posted a similar question and I am wondering if you guys have found out how to obtain the area of the interface using an UDF?

Bradley

vig February 17, 2013 20:27

Interfacial area could be calculated by the following:

Magnitude of Gradient(Alpha) * Volume

Hope it helps.

Cloud January 10, 2014 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by vig (Post 408353)
Interfacial area could be calculated by the following:

Magnitude of Gradient(Alpha) * Volume

Hope it helps.

Thanks! It's helpful. Another question: Which literature can I find this equation ?
Does the fluent help has this equation?

classic1573 August 8, 2014 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 469401)
Thanks! It's helpful. Another question: Which literature can I find this equation ?
Does the fluent help has this equation?

Hi,
I also confused with such a difficult question when i want to simulate the gas-liquid flow in a falling film reactor. how to get the the interface area in a cell using UDF micros? there were an equation in "help" to calculate the area density, area =2.0*[alpha]*the gradient of [alpha]. But this equation may be a wrong one. Besides of this, how to get the gradient of [alpha]? when you use the macro C_VOF_G, there will be notes: access violate.

Are you from China? Maybe we can discuss this problem in Chinese.my e-mail:classic1573@163.com:)

6863523 August 21, 2014 21:31

Hi vig,
I wonder if the equation is also applied to the wick-vapor interface?
Regards,
Bill

mehdi kamyabi April 16, 2016 07:52

Finding interface area

Dear All
Hello
Finding the premier of the interface (in 2-D cases) or surface of interface (in 3-D simulations) is my concern also. I didn't found how I can use Ansys for calculating these parameters. using the equation Area = Magnitude of Gradient(Alpha) * Volume is not straightforward because in addition to non- constant valued of Gradient(Alpha) in all domain, finding its amount has been not predicted in Fluent. So now my question is how I can find the solution for this matter.
Thanks