CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   Fluent UDF and Scheme Programming (
-   -   Fluent 14.5 - CutCell, STL & UDF (

sbaffini April 26, 2013 06:28

Fluent 14.5 - CutCell, STL & UDF
Dear all,

With the new 14.5 version, Ansys started introducing meshing capabilities within Fluent itself, which now is supposed to work also as a standalone tool.

Among these, there is also the recent Ansys meshing introduction, the CutCell method.

Now, as the basic meshing (and the CutCell more than the others) can work with stl surfaces, i was wandering if stl-related capabilities are somehow available within the solver trough UDF or even TUI.

I will make an example to elucidate. I have an stl surface which i want to use to mark some regions (e.g., the fluid region inside some closed surface or just the cells which are cut by the stl surface itself). Is it possible now?

I found difficult to retrieve such information from the manual as most of the material is obviously related to the proper use of the tool, the meshing, of course.

PSYMN April 28, 2013 17:06

Fluent Meshing
Basically, the FLUENT Meshing at 14.5 is the TGrid UI crammed into FLUENT. You get the full functionality of TGrid, including the STL repair. The main advantage is that the mesh can be created and solved in the same session without needing the i/o time of saving and loading...

Now for 15.0, there is a bunch more really cool development planned, but I am not sure how much I can say on CFD-Online... ;)

RodriguezFatz April 29, 2013 07:47

Don't worry about that. We'll treat it strictly confidential.

sbaffini April 29, 2013 09:53

A little bird told me:

- full GPU capability for most of the solvers

- full integration of Gambit capabilities (e.g., quad pave meshing, mapped meshing)

Now i'm wondering how cool is the stuff you're talking about...

Far April 29, 2013 10:02

Finally it is done on high demand on Gambit lovers (including myself): Integrating Gambit schemes :cool:

RodriguezFatz April 29, 2013 10:05

Originally Posted by sbaffini (Post 423886)
- full GPU capability for most of the solvers

I suspect only for those that have the necessary wherewithal... :(