CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Fluent UDF and Scheme Programming (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent-udf/)
-   -   UDF for 3d inlet parabolic velocity profile ? (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent-udf/89418-udf-3d-inlet-parabolic-velocity-profile.html)

shahzeb irfan June 12, 2011 07:52

UDF for 3d inlet parabolic velocity profile ?
 
hi every body......

i want to use a udf which gives me parabolic velocity profile at inlet.
my case is a pipe flow and i have made a model with its face at X-Z face and its length extends in the + ive y direction.

can anybody please help me on this ?

dust_2 June 17, 2011 09:28

The UDF manual has a 2D parabolic inlet example. You just need to change that example a little bit.

Dinocrack June 18, 2011 18:10

1 Attachment(s)
I try to find in manual, but didnt appear.

How could be when your inlet face is not coincident with the axis?

How it works for the case on picture?for example, for and angle of 50...

i want to understand how works the x[ND_ND] vector....or array

any help

Plz!!!

dust_2 June 19, 2011 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinocrack (Post 312588)
I try to find in manual, but didnt appear.

How could be when your inlet face is not coincident with the axis?

How it works for the case on picture?for example, for and angle of 50...

i want to understand how works the x[ND_ND] vector....or array

any help

Plz!!!

This the manual example:

#include "udf.h"
DEFINE_PROFILE(inlet_x_velocity, thread, position)
{
real x[ND_ND]; /* this will hold the position vector */
real y;
face_t f;
begin_f_loop(f, thread)
{
F_CENTROID(x,f,thread);
y = x[1];
F_PROFILE(f, thread, position) = 20. - y*y/(.0745*.0745)*20.;
}
end_f_loop(f, thread)
}


For 2D case, the X[ND_ND] has X[0] for axis x and X[1] for axis y.
For 3D case, the X[ND_ND] has X[0] for axis x, X[1] for axis y and X[2] for axis z.

If your inlet is not coincident with the axis you need to calculate the distance between certain point on the inlet surface and inlet center.

Dinocrack June 22, 2011 11:27

thank for your reply. So you telling me that we need to know the position point of inlet center?

dust_2 June 23, 2011 08:28

You need coordinate transformation at first then you can process it as the inlet face coincident with the axis.

wiki page for coordinate transformation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordin...dinate_systems

Dinocrack June 23, 2011 16:40

thank again for your answer.

I already solve the problem. Was a geometric construction of the reactor.

But to solve this kind of UDF's we need to rotate the axis and then see see the coordinates.

Thank again

Mr.Saba December 6, 2015 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinocrack (Post 313319)
thank again for your answer.

I already solve the problem. Was a geometric construction of the reactor.

But to solve this kind of UDF's we need to rotate the axis and then see see the coordinates.

Thank again

Hi Dino, Actually it is about 7 years after you post :confused: but I exactly need the UDF for the parabolic laminar velocity inlet in an Inclined tube exactly as yours probably only with difference in slope! As I am really in hurry, if by any chance you have the UDF code for it, and it is OK for you to give me the code that I can modify it, it would be awesome! Unfortunately I have only a simple Experience with UDF.

Thanks in advance

brunoc December 7, 2015 08:52

If you're in a hurry and you have no experience in UDF, what you should do instead is write a profile for the velocity based on (x,y,z) positions and use that as a boundary condition.

Fluent has a few tutorials explaining how to use profiles. The documentation will also help you.

Cheers

yulu March 24, 2016 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunoc (Post 576604)
If you're in a hurry and you have no experience in UDF, what you should do instead is write a profile for the velocity based on (x,y,z) positions and use that as a boundary condition.

Fluent has a few tutorials explaining how to use profiles. The documentation will also help you.

Cheers

Hi Bruno, sorry to dig this ancient post, I actually encountered this problem that I want a 3D parabolic velocity inlet but I don't have any experience using UDF, can you please where to find the the tutorials you mentioned about writing velocity profile based on positions ?Thanks a lot.

brunoc March 28, 2016 15:00

Hi yulu,
Visit the ANSYS Customer Portal and search for "fluent udf tutorial" in there.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:11.