CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FLUENT

Error: Negative volume and Creating empty surface

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   June 5, 2012, 05:59
Default Error: Negative volume and Creating empty surface
  #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 5
Faby is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone,

I have two interface walls defined as dynamic mesh, that move as a rigid body according to an udf in a flow domain. The problem is in transient time.
When I try to compute the solution, the simulation stops with this error:

"Warning: no positive-volume exist.
Error: update-dynamic-mesh failed. Negative cell volume detected
Note: zone-surface: cannot create surface from sliding interface zone.
Creating empty surface."

If I see the mesh surrounding dynamic mesh zones (interface walls) it's deformed a lot. But, I don't know how to fix it and I can't understand the "Note".

Could anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.
Faby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 5, 2012, 06:17
Default
  #2
Far
Super Moderator
 
Far's Avatar
 
Sijal Ahmed Memon (turboenginner@gmail.com)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 3,967
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 39
Far will become famous soon enoughFar will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
It is producing negative volume due to dynamic mesh setup. Either check the mesh settings (use tetra ) or dynamic mesh settings.
Far is online now   Reply With Quote

Old   June 6, 2012, 10:15
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 5
Faby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
It is producing negative volume due to dynamic mesh setup. Either check the mesh settings (use tetra ) or dynamic mesh settings.
I'm already using tetra mesh...
I tried with declaration of fluid zone surrounding the particle as deforming zone...but it doesn't work...
Faby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 4, 2012, 15:45
Default
  #4
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
i've got your problem either.
it seems that problem is within using interface walls in remeshing method
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 5, 2012, 07:41
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 5
Faby is on a distinguished road
At the end I did't use interface walls , but a mesh around the moving body that connects the wall of moving body and the mesh of external fluid domain.
Faby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 6, 2012, 07:04
Default
  #6
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
at last i found the answer (:
actually i was modelling a simple 3d model of falling sphere in water.
i 've successfully done it with interface walls.
my problem was that i didn't take buoyancy into account; sphere had much less density than water so it went up in about 0.01 sec. (density of sphere is calculated by fluent which is mass divided by volume )
don't forget to choose both interfaces as "rigid body" and "passive" in dynamic mesh options.
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 8, 2012, 04:45
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 5
Faby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadjad.s View Post
at last i found the answer (:
actually i was modelling a simple 3d model of falling sphere in water.
i 've successfully done it with interface walls.
my problem was that i didn't take buoyancy into account; sphere had much less density than water so it went up in about 0.01 sec. (density of sphere is calculated by fluent which is mass divided by volume )
don't forget to choose both interfaces as "rigid body" and "passive" in dynamic mesh options.
How did you take buoyancy into account?
Faby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 10, 2012, 05:48
Default
  #8
Member
 
Tamil Nadu
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 4
nkme2007 is on a distinguished road
Hello All,

I want to do analysis of heat transfer from water flowing through pipes submerged inside concrete. I am modelling in GAMBIT and wish to analyse it on Ansys FLUENT.

Can anybody help me out, how to model and simulate?

Does any tutorials exist?
nkme2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 10, 2012, 17:05
Default
  #9
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
hi mate,
actually with 6DOF option in dynamic mesh, fluent automatically considers buoyancy force between solid(ie. box) and fluid(water).
my problem was that i considered rather little mass for box (in the main problem it was sphere) so that it went up!
in this example(2d version), i made a structred grid around box and let it move with the same speed as box.(as you can see in picture).
and used remeshing method for unstructured grid.
i use fluent v14.0 64 bit, if you want, post me your email so i send you case & data and udf.
test.jpg

Last edited by sadjad.s; October 10, 2012 at 17:21.
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 10, 2012, 17:13
Default
  #10
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
hi mate,
modelling "water through pipe which is surrounded by concrete", it appears to be a rather simple task.
how much are you familiar with gambit & fluent?
you wanna model it 2d or 3d?
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 11, 2012, 00:08
Default
  #11
Member
 
Tamil Nadu
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 4
nkme2007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadjad.s View Post
hi mate,
modelling "water through pipe which is surrounded by concrete", it appears to be a rather simple task.
how much are you familiar with gambit & fluent?
you wanna model it 2d or 3d?
Sadjad,

I am a beginner of GAMBIT & FLUENT. My aim is to analyse the heat transfer and to analyse the temperature distribution among the concrete. I think 2D would suffice me, can you help me out?
nkme2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 11, 2012, 03:32
Default
  #12
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
your analysis seems easy if you set all problem's specifications correct.
but you need first to learn meshing with Gambit.
by doing these tutorials at this site(Cornell University), you'll have a rather sufficient view of Gambit&Fluent.
https://confluence.cornell.edu/displ...arning+Modules
Then you can start simulating what you want.
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 11, 2012, 04:25
Default
  #13
Member
 
Tamil Nadu
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 4
nkme2007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadjad.s View Post
your analysis seems easy if you set all problem's specifications correct.
but you need first to learn meshing with Gambit.
by doing these tutorials at this site(Cornell University), you'll have a rather sufficient view of Gambit&Fluent.
https://confluence.cornell.edu/displ...arning+Modules
Then you can start simulating what you want.
But, I didn't find any tutorial that is nearer to my work.
nkme2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 11, 2012, 11:18
Default
  #14
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
you are right but if you are a beginner, you need to learn these two softwares from base.
by doing those tutorials you will get familiar with meshing via Gambit and some basic CFD modellings with Fluent.
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 11, 2012, 11:38
Default
  #15
Member
 
Tamil Nadu
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 4
nkme2007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadjad.s View Post
you are right but if you are a beginner, you need to learn these two softwares from base.
by doing those tutorials you will get familiar with meshing via Gambit and some basic CFD modellings with Fluent.
Thank you sadjad!
nkme2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 23, 2012, 04:09
Default
  #16
Member
 
subha_meter's Avatar
 
Subhasish Mitra
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 7
subha_meter is on a distinguished road
Hi Sadiad,

I had the same experience of the solid sphere bouncing off the liquid surface instead of submerging. In 2D case, how did you specify the volume of the sphere. I believe in the 6DOF property UDF, you are giving mass and moment of inertia as the required inputs.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadjad.s View Post
hi mate,
actually with 6DOF option in dynamic mesh, fluent automatically considers buoyancy force between solid(ie. box) and fluid(water).
my problem was that i considered rather little mass for box (in the main problem it was sphere) so that it went up!
in this example(2d version), i made a structred grid around box and let it move with the same speed as box.(as you can see in picture).
and used remeshing method for unstructured grid.
i use fluent v14.0 64 bit, if you want, post me your email so i send you case & data and udf.
Attachment 16128
__________________
SM
subha_meter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 23, 2012, 13:56
Default
  #17
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
dear mate,
no need to specify volume, because fluent compute it by geometry.
you just need to enter mass of sphere via udf and density will be computed by "density=mass/volume".
a circle in 2d is actually a cylinder which has one meter depth so in order to compute volume just multiply section are by one.
to solve your problem just make sure that density of sphere is higher than fluid.
if there is still problem, send your email address to send you case&data&udf.
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 23, 2012, 18:55
Default
  #18
Member
 
subha_meter's Avatar
 
Subhasish Mitra
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 7
subha_meter is on a distinguished road
Hi Sadjad,

Thanks for your reply.

Earlier, I calculated the mass based on a sphere which is actually a cylinder in 2D. This caused the problem since cylinder volume considered by FLUENT is higher than the sphere and consequently density of solid became lower than the fluid.

I have fixed the problem now.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadjad.s View Post
dear mate,
no need to specify volume, because fluent compute it by geometry.
you just need to enter mass of sphere via udf and density will be computed by "density=mass/volume".
a circle in 2d is actually a cylinder which has one meter depth so in order to compute volume just multiply section are by one.
to solve your problem just make sure that density of sphere is higher than fluid.
if there is still problem, send your email address to send you case&data&udf.
__________________
SM
subha_meter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 6, 2012, 18:01
Default solid body floating using
  #19
Member
 
subha_meter's Avatar
 
Subhasish Mitra
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 7
subha_meter is on a distinguished road
Hi Sadjad,

Although the dynamic mesh model worked for heavier particle (density > liquid). for lighter particle (particle density < liquid density), it seems there's some problem. The particle bounces off the interface instead of floating on the liquid. Any suggestion?

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadjad.s View Post
dear mate,
no need to specify volume, because fluent compute it by geometry.
you just need to enter mass of sphere via udf and density will be computed by "density=mass/volume".
a circle in 2d is actually a cylinder which has one meter depth so in order to compute volume just multiply section are by one.
to solve your problem just make sure that density of sphere is higher than fluid.
if there is still problem, send your email address to send you case&data&udf.
__________________
SM
subha_meter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 7, 2012, 14:36
Default
  #20
Member
 
sadjad.s's Avatar
 
sadjad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
sadjad.s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sadjad.s
hi mate,
if you are sure that particle must go up (i.e. density of particle is less than liquid density), then you must use very little time step.(even in order of e-7)
as it is obvious, particle will throw up very quickly, so in order to catch motion, use little time step.
as a suggestion, the order of time step should be in a way that in each time step, your body moves less than cell height.
sadjad.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
error message with modeling a cube with a hold at the center hsingtzu OpenFOAM Native Meshers: blockMesh 2 March 14, 2012 10:56
mesh airfoil NACA0012 anand_30 OpenFOAM Meshing & Mesh Conversion 12 December 12, 2011 05:16
channelFoam for a 3D pipe AlmostSurelyRob OpenFOAM 3 June 24, 2011 13:06
BlockMesh FOAM warning gaottino OpenFOAM Native Meshers: blockMesh 7 July 19, 2010 14:11
Axisymmetrical mesh Rasmus Gjesing (Gjesing) OpenFOAM Native Meshers: blockMesh 10 April 2, 2007 14:00


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57.