CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FLUENT

Problem with a rotating problem

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   June 24, 2012, 23:54
Default Problem with a rotating problem
  #1
New Member
 
Sam
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 4
samolcue is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I'm trying to solve the following problem:



I have a rotating cylinder with a constant speed. For that I have define 2 fluid regions, one surrounding the cylinder and the other one with the rest.

I tried to solve MRF impossing to the fluid zone surrounding the cylinder the angular velocity and impossing the cylinder (wall) BC of moving wall relative to adjacent zone.

The problem is that I don't think that is actually working because I obtained the same results if I impose or no velocity for the surrounding fluid.

Is possible that the problem come that the "Mesh Interfaces" option is deactivated in Fluent?

I have also tried with a "steady" solution trying with an udf but I also can't make it worked.

Can anyone help me?
samolcue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2012, 02:28
Default
  #2
Far
Super Moderator
 
Far's Avatar
 
Sijal Ahmed Memon (turboenginner@gmail.com)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 3,868
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 37
Far will become famous soon enoughFar will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
Originally Posted by samolcue View Post
Hi,
Situation1: I tried to solve MRF impossing to the fluid zone surrounding the cylinder the angular velocity and impossing the cylinder (wall) BC of moving wall relative to adjacent zone.

Situation 2:The problem is that I don't think that is actually working because I obtained the same results if I impose or no velocity for the surrounding fluid.

Can anyone help me?
Because if you giving the inner wall (cylinder) as moving wall relative to adjacent zone, which means you are specifying no motion at all and it is similar to situation 2. Just think that you are measuring the giving the velocity to train and the person on the platform. This mean that the person is also moving with you including the platform. Another query, what velocity you are giving to wall? -ve and equal or +ve and equal?

So either give the velocity to the wall or fluid. Best way is to give velocity to fluid to solve the equations in rotating reference frame. Make sure that the cylinder centre is placed at origin.
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2012, 11:38
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Sam
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 4
samolcue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far View Post
Because if you giving the inner wall (cylinder) as moving wall relative to adjacent zone, which means you are specifying no motion at all and it is similar to situation 2. Just think that you are measuring the giving the velocity to train and the person on the platform. This mean that the person is also moving with you including the platform. Another query, what velocity you are giving to wall? -ve and equal or +ve and equal?

So either give the velocity to the wall or fluid. Best way is to give velocity to fluid to solve the equations in rotating reference frame. Make sure that the cylinder centre is placed at origin.
I have tried a lot of different things and at all I'm not able to make the cylinder move:
-BC moving wall for the cylinder with rotational speed
-MRF giving speed for the fluid zone
-Dynamic mesh with and udf for the cylinder

And I don't know why any of this is working.

I think that now is not important the sign of the velocity, because first I want just to make it move, doesn't care if is clockwise or inverse.

The origin is at the center also.

I've followed the MRF tutorial in fluent but I don't have the Mesh Interfaces option activated, and I'm beginning to think that maybe is here the problem. Is that possible?
samolcue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2012, 14:08
Default
  #4
Far
Super Moderator
 
Far's Avatar
 
Sijal Ahmed Memon (turboenginner@gmail.com)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 3,868
Blog Entries: 6
Rep Power: 37
Far will become famous soon enoughFar will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Far
Quote:
I've followed the MRF tutorial in fluent but I don't have the Mesh Interfaces option activated, and I'm beginning to think that maybe is here the problem. Is that possible?
Indeed it is
Far is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 25, 2012, 22:27
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Sam
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 4
samolcue is on a distinguished road
As I have put on the Freelancers forum, if anybody is able to check what I have done and teach me how to solve it properly, I'm disposed to pay.
samolcue is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rotating Impeller Naith FloEFD, FloWorks & FloTHERM 22 November 5, 2012 08:53
VOF method- Fluid in a rotating Cylinder Problem Krishna Sandeep FLUENT 1 July 3, 2012 16:44
Rotating problem / transient / 2D Logan86 CFX 6 July 8, 2011 06:57
Problem with rotating SOLID domain Roland R CFX 0 May 8, 2009 03:38
Rotating Vessel: Problem Set-Up Harmeet FLUENT 0 February 4, 2005 05:41


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11.