CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   plotting u+ vs y+ (

Shamoon Jamshed August 16, 2012 20:09

plotting u+ vs y+
I want to plot the famous TBL curve U+ vs y+on an aerofoil at supersonic speed. M=2. for potting U+ vs y+ I drew a vertical line in the mid chord, sufficiently enough to be in the boundary layer as I see through vector plot. I calculated U+ via formula through custom f/n from U/utau. and utau=sqrt(shear stress/density). When i use wall shear stress option in available functions of Fluent the U+ value was computed to be zero. Then I used tau=mu * (du / dy)y=0. This gave me some value but I still don't get the TBL plot. I get y+ value from 0.01 to 0.6 in the plot as well as maximum in the contour plot range. When I use the log scale it says that no data points in range. Please help me in this regard.

Touré August 17, 2012 18:27

your y+ is too small. Use CFD Online Home -> Online tools -> Y+ estimation or click on
Estimated wall distance is y with this tool.
Y+ for the cell adjacent to the wall is between is 1 for enhenced or 30 for standard turbulent model (See documentation)

Shamoon Jamshed August 18, 2012 09:05

The thing is that y+ is although very small but I want to plot the famous curve of U+ and y+ which I dont get. Forget that my y+ is 0.6 lets assume it is 1 then how can I plot U+ and Y+.

Touré August 18, 2012 14:36

Check the document at page 19
y+ begins in the diagram with 1. I don't think that y+ is defined under this value of 1.

There is a thread for how to compute y+ (FLUENT: variable -. Turbulence -> wall y+) and u+ at
You only need to compute u+ with custom functions.