CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FLUENT

about Nusselt number: local or average?

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   November 21, 2012, 13:05
Question about Nusselt number: local or average?
  #1
Member
 
amine
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 5
lbmagis is on a distinguished road
hi every one,
wanna ask u how to find nusselt average and also nusselt local and how to plot them using fluent 6.3 quickly please
thank you so much
lbmagis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 22, 2012, 09:21
Default
  #2
New Member
 
R.P. Bharti
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roorkee, India
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 7
ramp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ramp Send a message via Skype™ to ramp
For local Nusselt Number
Plot -> XY Plot -> Wall Fluxes... -> Surface Nusselt Number... Select the surface where you want to obtain the local Nusselt number...

You can save the data file or see directly in FLUENT window...

For Average Nusselt Number:

Report -> Surface Integrals -> Report Type -> Facet Average -> Field Variable (Wall Fluxes) --> Surface Nusselt Number....

Again select the surface where you want to obtain the average Nusselt number...
ramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 22, 2012, 17:47
Thumbs up
  #3
Member
 
amine
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 5
lbmagis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp View Post
For local Nusselt Number
Plot -> XY Plot -> Wall Fluxes... -> Surface Nusselt Number... Select the surface where you want to obtain the local Nusselt number...

You can save the data file or see directly in FLUENT window...

For Average Nusselt Number:

Report -> Surface Integrals -> Report Type -> Facet Average -> Field Variable (Wall Fluxes) --> Surface Nusselt Number....

Again select the surface where you want to obtain the average Nusselt number...
thank you so much ramp
lbmagis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 22, 2012, 18:56
Default
  #4
Member
 
amine
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 5
lbmagis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmagis View Post
thank you so much ramp
for the local nusselt it gave me a graph not a value!how to plot it plz : x direction or y direction?curves or ...?
for the average the average nusselt i got is bigger than nusselt average found in litterature : i am simulating laminar natural convection through an enclosure with partially active wall!!!where's the problem plz tell me ,or give me some steps to simulate this problem from prepossesing to postprossesing
thnk u so much
lbmagis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 23, 2012, 09:22
Default
  #5
New Member
 
R.P. Bharti
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roorkee, India
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 7
ramp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ramp Send a message via Skype™ to ramp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmagis View Post
for the local nusselt it gave me a graph not a value!how to plot it plz : x direction or y direction?curves or ...?
for the average the average nusselt i got is bigger than nusselt average found in litterature : i am simulating laminar natural convection through an enclosure with partially active wall!!!where's the problem plz tell me ,or give me some steps to simulate this problem from prepossesing to postprossesing
thnk u so much

Rather than plotting the local Nusselt number, you can chose to write in a file and see the values you are interested in.

Average Nusselt number is simply the integration of local values over the selected surface.

Please check the boundary conditions are suitably defined on all the surface...
ramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 23, 2012, 14:56
Default
  #6
Member
 
amine
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 5
lbmagis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp View Post
Rather than plotting the local Nusselt number, you can chose to write in a file and see the values you are interested in.

Average Nusselt number is simply the integration of local values over the selected surface.

Please check the boundary conditions are suitably defined on all the surface...
OK ramp thank u so much
i have Ra=10^3 ~ 10^6 results,in order to compare them in one graph to see the differences how to do that plz ,iam new in cfd plz help me
lbmagis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 23, 2012, 16:57
Question
  #7
Member
 
amine
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 5
lbmagis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmagis View Post
OK ramp thank u so much
i have Ra=10^3 ~ 10^6 results,in order to compare them in one graph to see the differences how to do that plz ,iam new in cfd plz help me
Hi again dear ramp,
i have a question in simulation of natural convection through square cavity i obtained Nu average value is 1.289206 for Rayleigh number 10^3!!!in the litterature the Nu average value is 1.118
why?where is the mitakes may be i did???plz if u have a short and brief tutorial could u give me step by step plz from gambit 2.0 to solving on fluent 6.3,i am working for this problem for 2 weeks but i cant got it ,,,i am so tired
thank u ramp for all
lbmagis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 27, 2012, 08:55
Default
  #8
New Member
 
R.P. Bharti
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roorkee, India
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 7
ramp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ramp Send a message via Skype™ to ramp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmagis View Post
OK ramp thank u so much
i have Ra=10^3 ~ 10^6 results,in order to compare them in one graph to see the differences how to do that plz ,iam new in cfd plz help me

Save the local Nusselt number data for all values of Ra in separate files... Open these files in MS Excel and then combine all the data in one file to plot them on a single graph...
ramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 27, 2012, 08:57
Default
  #9
New Member
 
R.P. Bharti
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roorkee, India
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 7
ramp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ramp Send a message via Skype™ to ramp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmagis View Post
Hi again dear ramp,
i have a question in simulation of natural convection through square cavity i obtained Nu average value is 1.289206 for Rayleigh number 10^3!!!in the litterature the Nu average value is 1.118
why?where is the mitakes may be i did???plz if u have a short and brief tutorial could u give me step by step plz from gambit 2.0 to solving on fluent 6.3,i am working for this problem for 2 weeks but i cant got it ,,,i am so tired
thank u ramp for all

Are you using the similar numerics (mesh size and numerical schemes, etc.) to that used in the literature? You may try refining the mesh and see the results...
ramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 27, 2012, 11:14
Question i am using 120x120
  #10
Member
 
amine
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 5
lbmagis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp View Post
Are you using the similar numerics (mesh size and numerical schemes, etc.) to that used in the literature? You may try refining the mesh and see the results...
Hi Ramp, hope ur doing well
i tried : 31x31
41x41
52x52
60x60
80x80
90x90
100x100
110x110
120x120
130x130
161x161
but my results were not good
please Ramp could u help me out?i am really lost
could u teach me the tutorial ste[ by step?or tell me the mistakes i did,here are the steps i ve done:
Gambit2.2:
create surface(1x1 m^2)/mesh: create boundray layer /mesh edges bi-exponent 0.6 and number count 120 for all /mesh surface/define boundary wall/and continum fluid/export .msh and save
fluent 6.3 :
read case/chek/size/scale/display grid
define: solver-enrgy-viscous/materials/operating conditions
Ra=1e+04/boundary conditions
solve:control solution-initialize-residuals-iterate

for compute the Nu average number at y/2 i did:
report/integral surface/facet average/wall flux/surface nusselt number/select heated wall/compute
but my result is not good ,i tried many times
plz tell me how to do all that(post-processing) as : at y/2:
Nu local and average;velocities;temperature...
thank u so much
lbmagis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 27, 2012, 11:23
Default
  #11
Member
 
amine
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 5
lbmagis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmagis View Post
Hi Ramp, hope ur doing well
i tried : 31x31
41x41
52x52
60x60
80x80
90x90
100x100
110x110
120x120
130x130
161x161
but my results were not good
please Ramp could u help me out?i am really lost
could u teach me the tutorial ste[ by step?or tell me the mistakes i did,here are the steps i ve done:
Gambit2.2:
create surface(1x1 m^2)/mesh: create boundray layer /mesh edges bi-exponent 0.6 and number count 120 for all /mesh surface/define boundary wall/and continum fluid/export .msh and save
fluent 6.3 :
read case/chek/size/scale/display grid
define: solver-enrgy-viscous/materials/operating conditions
Ra=1e+04/boundary conditions
solve:control solution-initialize-residuals-iterate

for compute the Nu average number at y/2 i did:
report/integral surface/facet average/wall flux/surface nusselt number/select heated wall/compute
but my result is not good ,i tried many times
plz tell me how to do all that(post-processing) as : at y/2:
Nu local and average;velocities;temperature...
thank u so much
hi again,
sorry Ramp : at x/2 not y/2
thnks
lbmagis is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Local Nusselt Number Around Circular Cylinder! mskamran FLUENT 2 May 9, 2013 09:12
AMI speed performance danny123 OpenFOAM 19 October 24, 2012 07:44
directMapped problem panda60 OpenFOAM Bugs 4 July 8, 2010 10:23
Local Nusselt Number rohangulavani FLUENT 0 July 6, 2010 07:03
Could anybody help me see this error and give help liugx212 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 3 January 4, 2006 19:07


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:52.