CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   Floating Point Exception in reaction channel (

idil December 19, 2012 05:56

Floating Point Exception in reaction channel
Hello, I'am trying to simulate a highly exothermic reaction mechanism in a microchannel reactor. Solution Initialization gives an error: foating point exception. And I can't proceed to iterations. Is it about the solver parameters or my initial conditions? Anyone can help?

RodriguezFatz December 19, 2012 07:55

In 100% of the cases this happened to me is was due to a mesh error (negative volume / faces error...). Did you check your mesh?

idil December 19, 2012 08:00

yes I checked the mesh, no negative value for volume or face area. mesh seems normal. Also I checked my rxn and diffusivity udf's they're normal too. What could be the cause of this problem?

RodriguezFatz December 19, 2012 08:03

Why don't you start a new project and load the mesh. Maybe set some simple BCs.
Now try to initialize. If this works then switch on all "extras", but one by one. Try to initialize each time.

idil December 19, 2012 08:33

Actually I assigned the BC's in gambit (velocity in-, pressure out, interface etc.) then read the mesh in fluent and I put initial values to speicific boundries ( superficial velocity etc) in fluent. Is it OK to assign the BC's in Fluent? because it is hard to identify default names fluent gives to different boundaries. by the way I have 2D geometry and 4 different layers in my system (up-to down: coolant-wall-catalyst-channel)

RodriguezFatz December 19, 2012 11:09

I am sorry, I allways set the BCs in fluent...