CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   1 way and 2 way FSI in ANSYS Workbench with Fluent and ANSYS Structural (

jwillie2000 January 16, 2013 09:49

1 way and 2 way FSI in ANSYS Workbench with Fluent and ANSYS Structural
Hello All,

Trying to set up a simple case in Workbench for FSI and i am running into problems. I selected FSI:Fluid Flow (FLUENT)->Static Structural and then set up the Fluent case geo and mesh and solved the solution. I then could not get the solid geometry opened under Static Structural. When i open Model, the geo i get is the same as that for the CFD without the solid. I am looking for a good tutorial that can help me set up such a case. The main idea is just to use the CFD computed pressure as input load for the structural simulation. But i will also want to know how workbench can do 2 way FSI as well.

Bionico January 17, 2013 03:23

Hello willie,
I'm not sure but I think that the 2-way FSI isn't possible with FLUENT: maybe you need CFX instead.

Sixkillers January 17, 2013 05:13

2-FSI Structural is possible in Fluent via Workbnech's Coupling block. Definetely take a look at "Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI) with ANSYS Fluent 14.5" course, which can be downloaded from ANSYS Customer Portal.

Gowrav March 16, 2013 11:47

Hi James,
One tip, I dont know whether it will work in your case or not..
While Modeling Model both Solid and Fluid in same geometry, as two different volumes- design modeler..
Mesh it, two separate mesh will be there.
For fluid analysis - "Suppress" Solid Mesh in mesh tool itself.
Complete the analysis import results by linking it to static structural
before proceeding to loading Unsuppress the solid and Suppress the fluid mesh.. Apply load on interface.. As required..
rem fluid and solid should be to separate volumes in same design modeler session..
You can obtain them by 'Freeze' one before creating other,,
Have a try..