CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Can Fluent measure the mass flow of water/sand mixture? (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/112073-can-fluent-measure-mass-flow-water-sand-mixture.html)

Al-Hashimi January 21, 2013 14:26

Can Fluent measure the mass flow of water/sand mixture?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I have a hydrocyclone model supplied by water+sand mixture; a percentage of sand should be separated from water.
Can fluent give me information about this percentage? How much sand (kg/sec) will goes from the top outlet and how much will goes to the down outlet?
It is working with water as follows:
Inlet = 0.84767848 kg/s
Top_Outlet= -0.71924299 kg/s
Down_Outlet= -0.12842806 kg/s

But for Sand:
Inlet = 0.041 kg/s
Top_Outlet= ??? kg/s
Down_Outlet= ??? kg/s

Attachment 18368

Attachment 18367

Al-Hashimi January 25, 2013 06:48

Any response please....

NormalVector January 28, 2013 13:01

Can't you do a flux report to get the total mass flow and then use a surface integral report to get the mass fraction of your sand?

Al-Hashimi January 29, 2013 14:15

1 Attachment(s)
Many Thanks for your reply, but could you please give me more clarification, what to select from the surface integral tap?

Attachment 18592

I have a DPM not Mixture or Eulerian.

Again Thank you very much friend.

NormalVector January 30, 2013 16:05

Your report type could be something like "Area Weighted Average" and then your field variable could be "Mass Fraction of ________". Does that get you what you want?

Al-Hashimi January 30, 2013 19:27

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sure it will work, but my friend, there is nothing in the field variable called "Mass Fraction" .
Many thanks for your kind assistance

Attachment 18639

NormalVector January 30, 2013 20:47

Sure there is. The report type is "Area Weighted Average", the field variable is "Species..." and then you choose "Mass fraction of _____". Of course that's if you have enable species transport. If you haven't, maybe I misread your question but it seems you should be keeping track of multiple species. I'm not sure if it's the same when you do a multiphase simulation.

msaeedsadeghi February 2, 2013 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormalVector (Post 405186)
Sure there is. The report type is "Area Weighted Average", the field variable is "Species..." and then you choose "Mass fraction of _____". Of course that's if you have enable species transport. If you haven't, maybe I misread your question but it seems you should be keeping track of multiple species. I'm not sure if it's the same when you do a multiphase simulation.

The prolblem is in descrete phase not multiphase. Is there any way to calculate it for descrete phase?

Al-Hashimi February 2, 2013 07:00

You are right my friend, the problem that i cannot choose between water or sand phase becouse of the DPM not Multiphase Model.