CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   2D Geometry - Plotting Contours For Specific Regions Only (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/133398-2d-geometry-plotting-contours-specific-regions-only.html)

Naz1405 April 14, 2014 11:18

2D Geometry - Plotting Contours For Specific Regions Only

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Really struggling with this problem and not sure where to turn, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a very simple 2D model (a picture of which is attached below).

I am interested in plotting filled contours of velocity, but I only want to see the contours for a specific region and hence have a legend colour mapped to only that area.

In essence, ideally I would like the surface to be split into to halves, ''Area A'' and ''Area B'' ( top and bottom halves) however I've found this very difficult to do (tried using partition tool in Fluent but to no avail)

I have many different cases of this model run under different conditions, so going back and changing the geometry/mesh to create two different surfaces would not be ideal.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Many Thanks

Naz1405

CFD-fellow April 15, 2014 09:37

Hi
Do the followings:
1- adapt>region
specify a quad to meet your desire, then click on mark.
2-grid>separate>face
with mark option and choosing that region made in step 1
3-grid>zones>delete
in this step u can delete the extra part.
Best regards

shk12345 April 21, 2014 10:44

Simple
just use cfd post that comes along with ANSYS package.

create a plane by giving the coordinates of your interest.
go to contour n plot your desired contour and then you may play with the range in which you want your results to be displayed.

regards

shk

Subhasree April 23, 2014 05:52

Name selection problem

Hi,
I have started working on fluent recently. I am working on a 2-d double wedge problem in hypersonic flow. I have generated the geometry using design modeler and have completed meshing it. but every time I am trying to name the boundaries...the fluent post is giving the following error:

1) zone-surface: invalid thread[2]
2) cx-restore-view: no views are stored
3) Model information is incompatible with incoming mesh.

Some how the fluent post is not accepting the boundary names!!! Please let me know how can I solve this problem...:(:(:(:(:(

guxin7005 June 12, 2014 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subhasree (Post 487661)
Hi,
I have started working on fluent recently. I am working on a 2-d double wedge problem in hypersonic flow. I have generated the geometry using design modeler and have completed meshing it. but every time I am trying to name the boundaries...the fluent post is giving the following error:

1) zone-surface: invalid thread[2]
2) cx-restore-view: no views are stored
3) Model information is incompatible with incoming mesh.

Some how the fluent post is not accepting the boundary names!!! Please let me know how can I solve this problem...:(:(:(:(:(

hi, Subhasree.
do you solve the problem of 2)? I met the same question from time to time. Sometimes I double click the cas files instead of open the case from FLUENT launcher. It will help a little.