Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By J. McKelliget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   February 23, 2000, 07:15
Default Floating point exception?
Ricky Wong

Hello,

I'm trying to model a plain underexpanded jet (still), and I can't get the iterations started. Fluent keeps coming back with floating point exception, (underflow). I don't know what it's complaining about!.

I've tried reducing the skewness, checked the grid, re-entered the boundary conditions (trying to start off with a jet at a very low NPR, without turbulence), no joy.. am I grasping at straws or is it something blindingly obvious?

please help

Thanks

Old   February 23, 2000, 09:59
Default Re: Floating point exception?
J. McKelliget

Your model is diverging.

The underexpanded jet is almost impossible to converge using Fluent.

Make sure you are using the coupled solver, and maybe some kind of initial guess.

ashraf88 likes this.

Old   February 23, 2000, 12:21
LW

Can you explain "Underexpanded Jet"? Thanks!

Old   February 23, 2000, 14:11
J. McKelliget

Underexpanded jet = a compressible gas flow where the pressure in the jet is substantially higher than the pressure of the region into which it is discharging - leads to lots of shock and expansion waves etc

Old   February 23, 2000, 14:27
John C. Chien

(1). That's right. (2). Or, (p,ambient/ p,jet exit) < 1. (3). (p,jet exit) is the nozzle exit pressure but still inside the nozzle. (4). Further expansion will occur in the jet, downstream of the nozzle exit, until the pressure at the boundary of the jet matches the ambient pressure. In between, shocks and expansion waves will form in the jet (or plume).

Old   February 24, 2000, 06:48
Ricky Wong

Thanks,

Managed to get the model started, stripped it down completely to a laminar, incompressible flow at a very low NPR to begin with and gradually increased the NPR as the solution progressed.

Old   February 24, 2000, 22:06
Sung-Eun Kim

Have you tried to patch a non-zero initial guess for the velocity field ? Please contact your support engineer if the problem doesn't go away.

Old   February 25, 2000, 11:39
Ricky Wong

Thanks for the reply

Non-zero intial guesses also prompted the error, It wasn't until I took stripped down the model that it was able to start. Unfortunately I don't think I have a support engineer, I'm a post-grad and the University has an academic license to which I am not the primary licence holder, queries to fluent (europe) support are very slow in replying (if at all) because an academic license is has low priority. Hence I look to the fluent forum for possible help.

Old   February 7, 2012, 23:31
Default Floating point error.

sheikh nasir is on a distinguished road
Hello.
I am getting floating point error:invalid number in my thesis. Ie train moving in tunnel. Can any help me. My email is sheikhnasir39@gmail.com
thanks
sheikh nasir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 15, 2014, 23:49

Chng
chngyian is on a distinguished road
One reason could be that the factors are over-relaxed. So if you are confident that BCs, model and solver are appropriate, try reducing the relaxation factor in solution control.
chngyian is offline   Reply With Quote